Pendulum Amplitude and phase constant

In summary: The amplitude at t=0 is affected by theta and t, so using a different sign would yield a different phi.
soccerscholar

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum of length 1m with bob mass 125g is pulled 15 degrees to the right and released at t=0.What are the phase constant and amplitude?

Homework Equations

θ(t)=Acos(ζt+phi) ---> my teacher gave us a weird symbol that I've never seen before, it has always been ω instead of ζ on classwork and such.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just completely lost with how to even start this. My teacher doesn't explain anything, he basically gives us in-class problems that have nothing to do with the homework he assigns. Can someone explain how amplitude and phase constant can be found?

Physics news on Phys.org
I once had a Japanese prof who ran out of English and Greek letters, so he started using Japanese ones. Don't let it bother you; remember Feynman said the names don't matter.

Why not find the period first? Then you can get the ω easily. And figure out what phi you need to make it fit the angle at time zero.

The weird symbol "ζ" is "zeta", the seventh letter of the Greek alphabet. The actual symbols don't matter - it is their roles that count.
(I once ran out of letters and resorted to geometric shapes.)

The phase is [itex]\phi[/itex]. To find it, consider what the amplitude is at t=0 in your experiment and in the equation.

[itex]\zeta = 1/ 2\pi T[/itex] ... which is, of course, the angular frequency. I figure you can find the period of a pendulum OK?

Wow, it's really that simple? Thanks, I really understand this a lot better.

So to find phi, do I use θ(0)=Acos(phi), plug in the initial angle it was pulled back for the theta0, and solve for phi?

Careful - you have two variables, the phi and the A.
The A is the amplitude. The phi modifies the start value because you may not start time exactly when the swing is at it's maximum displacement.

If the equation was a sign instead of a cosine, phi would be different.

1. What is the equation for calculating the amplitude of a pendulum?

The equation for calculating the amplitude of a pendulum is A = θmax - θmin, where A is the amplitude, θmax is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, and θmin is the minimum displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How does the mass of a pendulum affect its amplitude?

The mass of a pendulum does not affect its amplitude. The amplitude is determined by the initial displacement of the pendulum and the length of the pendulum, not its mass.

3. What is the phase constant in a pendulum?

The phase constant in a pendulum refers to the starting point of the pendulum's motion. It is the angle at which the pendulum is released from its equilibrium position. It is also known as the initial phase angle or the phase shift.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its amplitude?

The length of a pendulum has a direct effect on its amplitude. The longer the length of the pendulum, the larger the amplitude will be. This is because a longer pendulum has a longer period of oscillation, which allows it to swing more widely.

5. What factors can affect the phase constant of a pendulum?

The phase constant of a pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the initial displacement or starting angle, the length of the pendulum, and any external forces acting on the pendulum, such as air resistance or friction. The phase constant can also be affected by changes in the gravitational field strength or the location of the pendulum on Earth.