1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum, conservation of energy theorem

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple pendulum whose length is L=2 meters has a mass of m=2kg. When the angle between the pendulum and the vertical is 35 degrees, it has a speed of 1.2 m/s. Find the pendulum's speed when the pendulum is at its lowest height.

2. Relevant equations
    K = 0.5mv2
    U = mgh
    E = K+U

3. The attempt at a solution
    I arbitrarily set that h=0 when theta = 35 degrees
    [​IMG]
    NOTE: I have found the right answer by setting h=0 at the pendulum's lowest point, but I can't find the right answer when I set h=0 when theta = 35 degrees. Since h=0 can be arbitrarily set, I would like to know where is the mistake.

Since E = K + U, and U = 0
    then E = K = 0.5mv2 = 0.5(2)(1.22)= 1.44 J
    Now, at any point E = K + U = mg*-[L-Lcos(theta)] + 0.5mv2 = mg[Lcos(theta) - L] + 0.5mv2

Now, I am pretty sure the error is in what follows:
    At the pendulum's lowest point, theta = 0 degrees
    then mg[Lcos(theta) - L] + 0.5mv2 = 0.5mv2 = 1.44 J, solving for v gives back the 1.22 m/s, which is clearly not the answer. If i set theta = 35 degrees, I get v = 2.38 m/s, which is also not correct.

The correct answer is 2.9 m/s
    Can anyone help?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The problem is in your PE term. You need the distance below the start point, which is where θ = 35 degrees. (Why not just calculate that distance for the bottom position? That's what your expression gives if you put θ=35.)

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    hmm this is what I did: Since d = L cos theta and the pendulum's length = L, then the distance below the starting point is the -(distance between the blue sphere and the red horizontal line), which is = -(L - L*cos(theta)). Isn't that what we need?
    [​IMG]

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sure. As long as θ = 35. (θ is your initial angle, not the final angle.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?