1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum on Pendulum, velocity in non inertial frame

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A double pendulum consists of two particles of equal mass m suspended
    by massless rods of equal length l. Assuming that all
    motion is in a vertical plane:
    1. Find the Lagrangian of this system.
    2. then find the equations of motion and,
    3. linearize these equations, assuming small motion.

a = angle between rod1 and vertical
    b = angle between rod2 and vertical
    l = length of each rod
    m = mass of the point masses
    g = acceleration due to gravity
    v = velocity of the point mass

2. Relevant equations

Lagragian
    L = T - V

Lagrange Equation
    d/dt(∂L/∂n1) - ∂L/∂n1 = 0 for n=1 through number of variables

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by looking at an easier example, a single pendulum with a mass less rod and point mass on the end. I used the same approach to find the lagragian and eqn of motion for the first rod as follows:

T = kinetic energy = 1/2 m v^2
    v can be expressed in terms of a.
    v = angular velocity * radius
    v = l * a' <- ' denoting derived wrt to t

so T = 1/2 m (l*a')^2

V (potential) is described as mg*height above the lowest possible height so:

mg * (l - cos a)

which gives the Lagrangian
    L = 1/2 m l^2 a'^2 - mgl (1 - cos(a))

Using the Lagrangian equation:
    d/dt(∂L/∂a') - ∂L/∂a = 0

d/dt(∂L/∂a') = l^2 m a''
    and
    ∂L/∂a = mgl sin(a)

which solves to 0 = a'' - g/l sin(a)

assuming small motion, sin(a) is approx equal to a so

0 = a'' - g/l a

Which seems to be fine for a single pendulum. The tricky bit comes with adding the second onto the end of the first. The way I think of it either I can:

1) Treat the second as if it were the first and ignore that it takes place inside a non inertial frame

This gives me a second equation that looks like: 0 = b'' - g/l b

2) When calculating the Lagrangian add the T and V terms of the first rod to the second to try and take the non inertial frame into account:

This evaluates to the same as above: 0 = b'' - g/l b , as the extra terms are removed when passed through the Lagrangian equation.

Both of these evaluate to equations that do not include a so i don't think they are right.

3) When calculating the kinetic energy, instead of simply using v = a' l, somehow describe the velocity in terms of the entire frame. I feel this would be the correct way to do it but is where I get stuck as I don't know how to go about it.

so T = 1/2 m (velocity relative to inertial frame)
    V = mg (2l - lcos(a) - lcos(b))

So in summary how can I represent the actual velocity of the second point mass on the end of the second rod? I think that once I have that I should be able to find the eqn of motion and linearize it. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2
    I've found the places where I have gone wrong in this problem and what I needed to do. I'll post the solution for reference soon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook