1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Penny flipped and uniform PDF generated

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A penny is flipped until we see the first head, and flips are assumed to be independent. For each tail we observe before the first head, the value of a continuous random variable with uniform PDF over the interval [0,3] is generated. Let the RV X be the sum of all the values obtained before the first head. We want to find the mean and variance of X.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming n tails before the first head, we have E[X] = E[X_1 + ... + X_n] = E[X_1] + ... + E[X_n], and Var(X) = Var(X_1 + ... + X_n) = Var(X_1) + ... + Var(X_n) as the X_i are independent so there are no covariance terms.

Since each X_i has a discrete uniform distribution, the pdf of each X_i is 1/4 for X_i = 0,1,2, or 3.

Also, the probability of flipping n tails before the first head is (0.5)^n.

However, I'm not sure how to put all of this together. I think the mean of X will be (1/4) + ...+ (1/4) n times, but this doesn't take into account the probability of flipping n tails. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have one expression wrong: the probability of flipping n tails before the first head is 1/2 for n = 0 (i.e., the first toss is heads) and is (1/2)^n for n >= 1. Since it is possible that there are no tails before the first head, your generation scheme also needs to handle that case. I can see two "reasonable" ways: (i) ignore that case and do another sequence of flips; or (ii) when there are no tails, generate the single value "0".

In case (ii) the generated random variables would be mixed discrete and continuous, with a finite probability of the point 0. In case (i) the number of tails distribution would be P{Tails=n}= (1/2)^(n-1), n=1,2,... (the conditional probability of having first toss = tails).
    So, case (i) is easier to work with and I will do that. You have [tex]EX =\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} P\{\text{Tails}=n\} E(X_1 + \cdots + X_n),[/tex]
    and similarly for Var(X).

RGV

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your help, Ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook