Perhaps they are all the same species

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
In summary, the different species of humans are differentiated based on their skull and bone shape, but this difference is not based on their eyesight.
Calpalned
1) The most popular credence is that Homo

Erectus/Ergaster gave rise to Homo Heidelbergensis, which in turn is

the ancestor of the Neanderthal. However, each of the species I

mentioned, to me, appear pretty much the same. They all have weak

chins and brow ridges. Their face shape generally stays the same.

The only difference is an augmentation in brain size. Why are they

considered different species?

Biology news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:
1) The most popular credence is that Homo

Erectus/Ergaster gave rise to Homo Heidelbergensis, which in turn is

the ancestor of the Neanderthal. However, each of the species I

mentioned, to me, appear pretty much the same. They all have weak

chins and brow ridges. Their face shape generally stays the same.

The only difference is an augmentation in brain size. Why are they

considered different species?
Well, Pygmies and Mongoloids appear pretty different to me. And yet they belong to the Homo sapiens species.

zoki85 said:
Well, Pygmies and Mongoloids appear pretty different to me. And yet they belong to the Homo sapiens species.
So it is clear that people who look quite different are grouped into the same species. But ironically, people who look similar (at least according to their skull and bone shape) like homo erectus, neanderthal, heidelbergensis, antecessor etc, are split up into different species. This is so odd.

Calpalned said:
So it is clear that people who look quite different are grouped into the same species. But ironically, people who look similar (at least according to their skull and bone shape) like homo erectus, neanderthal, heidelbergensis, antecessor etc, are split up into different species. This is so odd.
Let genome be fair judge here since eye can be misleading

I agree with zoki85. We might think whales were a type of big fish if we judge only by morphology, but whales descended from four legged land animals. What we have here is what's called "convergent evolution". Different species can evolve the same trait (in this case fins) independently.

Thank you zoki85 and Pythagorean

1. What does it mean when someone says "perhaps they are all the same species"?

"Perhaps they are all the same species" is a statement that suggests that a group of organisms may belong to the same species, even if they appear to be different at first glance. This could be due to genetic similarities or a common ancestor.

2. How can scientists determine if organisms are the same species?

Scientists use various methods to determine if organisms belong to the same species. This includes analyzing genetic data, physical characteristics, and behavior patterns. If there is enough evidence to suggest that the organisms share a common ancestor and can successfully reproduce, they are likely to be considered the same species.

3. Can different species look similar?

Yes, it is possible for different species to look similar. This is known as convergent evolution, where species that are not closely related develop similar physical characteristics due to similar environmental pressures.

4. What are some examples of organisms that may be considered the same species?

Some examples of organisms that may be considered the same species include different breeds of dogs, different varieties of corn, and different races of humans. These organisms may have distinct physical characteristics, but they are able to interbreed and share a common ancestor.

5. Why is it important to determine if organisms are the same species?

Determining if organisms are the same species is important for understanding evolutionary relationships and biodiversity. It also helps with conservation efforts and understanding the potential for diseases to spread between different groups of organisms.