Humans look so different from their closest relatives

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
In summary, Heidelbergensis is considered the ancestor of both modern humans and neanderthals due to their similarities in physical appearance. However, modern human skulls have distinct differences such as lacking a brow ridge, having a chin, and a round cranium shape, compared to other hominids. Despite these differences, all hominids are still considered within the same species. The reason for these differences lies in the process of cladistics, which categorizes and studies the evolutionary relationships between species.
Calpalned
3) How is Heidelbergensis the ancestor of both

modern humans and neanderthals? As mentioned in the first question,

neanderthals look quite similar to heidelbergensis, so I understand

the connection. However, compared to Heidelbergensis, modern human

skulls look quite alien. That is to say, no brow ridge, the presence

of a chin and perhaps most striking is the round shape of the cranium

(whereas all other hominids had elongated oval shaped craniums).

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't look much like my dad, does that mean we're not related?

Likes Suraj M
Simon Bridge said:
I don't look much like my dad, does that mean we're not related?
Parents and children are generally within the same species (I use generally because certain animals have interbred and created things like wolphins). For humans, they are all within the same species. My question is that skulls that are labeled as modern "belonging to homo sapiens sapiens" are unusual compared to those of their closest relatives outside of their species (aka the hominids). All of the hominids, be it neanderthal, homo erectus, homo heidelbergensis, austropithecus etc all had brow ridges and lacked chins. All other species of homo, in addition, had craniums (part protecting brain) shaped quite differently from that of humans. It is more of an enlongated oval shape. As stated in this article, we are the only hominids with chins http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-do-humans-have-chins-15140492/?no-ist Why is it that modern humans look so different from other hominids, while the diverse species of hominids look quite similar to each other?

If there were no striking differences, then they would be the same species rather than close relatives.
If you want to know how homonid skulls get characterized, look into cladistics. I gave you a link.

What is the reason for the physical differences between humans and their closest relatives?

The main reason for the physical differences between humans and their closest relatives is due to the process of evolution. Over millions of years, humans and their closest relatives have evolved differently in response to their environments and survival needs.

What are the key physical differences between humans and their closest relatives?

The key physical differences between humans and their closest relatives include brain size, bipedalism (walking on two legs), and the structure of the hands and feet. Humans also have distinct facial features, such as a flatter face and smaller jaw, compared to their closest relatives.

How do humans and their closest relatives share similarities despite the physical differences?

Despite the physical differences, humans and their closest relatives still share many similarities. They are all primates and share a common ancestor. They also share some genetic and behavioral traits, such as social behaviors and the ability to use tools.

What evidence supports the theory of evolution for the physical differences between humans and their closest relatives?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the theory of evolution is the fossil record. Fossils of human ancestors and their closest relatives show gradual changes in physical characteristics over time. DNA analysis also supports the theory of evolution, as it shows genetic similarities and differences between humans and their closest relatives.

Can the physical differences between humans and their closest relatives change over time?

Yes, the physical differences between humans and their closest relatives can continue to change over time. Evolution is an ongoing process, and as environments and survival needs change, physical traits can also change. This can be seen in modern humans, as our physical characteristics have changed and continue to change over time.