Period of oscillating square block on axle with spring

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
-=CN=-
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
A square block, with a mass of 3.40 kg and edge lengths d = 6.00 cm, is mounted on an axle through its center. A spring of spring constant k = 1190 N/m connects the block's upper corner with a rigid wall. Initially the spring is at its rest length. If the block is rotated by 3° and then released, what is the period of the resulting SHM?

What type of problem should this be treated as?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It oscillates by rotation ... it's called a torsional oscillator.
You look at "restoring torque" which returns the object
(which responds slowly due to its rotational Inertia) to
the equilibrium orientation angle.

set torque = I alpha , get torque as function of theta.
Now it should operationally look like an oscillator eq'n.

Be careful to keep the omega_(orientation_change_rate)
distinct from the omega_(forward trig function argument)
omega_ocr has amplitude 3 degrees, while
omega_tfa is multiplied by time.

Enjoy it, this one is fun!
 
there are two different omegas? I'm slightly confused. I know for a torsion oscillator, period is usually found using T = (2*pi)*(I/kappa)^(1/2)
Inertia can be calculated...but how should I go about getting kappa, setting the net torque = -k*theta?
 
Torque is force multiplied by perpendicular distance from axis of rotation.

Tau = -K(d/2)^2 @ sin@ =@ approx