Period of pendulum with mass distributed between ball and bar

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 18K views
Mdhiggenz
Messages
324
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Two pendulums have the same dimensions (length ) L and total mass (m). Pendulum A is a very small ball swinging at the end of a uniform massless bar. In pendulum B , half the mass is in the ball and half is in the uniform bar.

A. Find the period of pendulum A for small oscillations.

B. Find the period of pendulum B for small oscillation

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



For A. I got 2∏√L/g which is correct however i am struggling for B

What I did was

Pendulum B I= Ibar + Ibar= 1/3 (m/2)L^2+m/2L^2= 2/3mL^2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mdhiggenz! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Mdhiggenz said:
In pendulum B , half the mass is in the ball and half is in the uniform bar.
…
Pendulum B I= Ibar + Ibar= 1/3 (m/2)L^2+m/2L^2= 2/3mL^2

Looks ok! :smile: