Period of pendulum moved to Jupiter's moon Io

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 2K views
robax25
Messages
238
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement



you are taking your pendulum clock with you to a visit of the Jupiter moon Io(radious 3643.2Km, mass 8.94X10^22 kg. calculate the duration of a full Oscillation. On the surface this oscillation time was 1s

Homework Equations


T=2*π√l/g[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


T1/T2=√(g2/g1)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robax25 said:
T1/T2=√(D1/D2)
=√((Gmr^2/9,81)/D1)
What are D1 and D2, and how do you get the second equation from the first?
 
D means g . If you divideT1/T2=2*π√l1/g / 2*π√l2/g. the you get the equation
 
Last edited:
Moderator's note: I've changed the title of this thread to be more specific and descriptive of the actual problem.
 
robax25 said:
D means g . If you divideT1/T2=2*π√l1/g / 2*π√l2/g. the you get the equation
What is l (lower-case L)? What is g?
 
NascentOxygen said:
What is l (lower-case L)? What is g?
L is the length of the pendulum and g is the Gravitational costant
 
It's one pendulum clock that gets transported to Io, so how can there be two different pendulum lengths?

Usually G is the gravitational constant symbol. What numerical value are you using for lower-case g here?
 
NascentOxygen said:
It's one pendulum clock that gets transported to Io, so how can there be two different pendulum lengths?

Usually G is the gravitational constant symbol. What numerical value are you using for lower-case g here?
yes, G differs from Earth to Jupiter's moon Io. For earth, it is 9.81m/s^2... and Io moon is not mentioned. so we need to use gravitational formula to solve it
 
robax25 said:

Homework Statement



you are taking your pendulum clock with you to a visit of the Jupiter moon Io(radious 3643.2Km, mass 8.94X10^22 kg. calculate the duration of a full Oscillation. On the Earth's surface this oscillation time was 1s
I have clarified the problem statement here, to present it as I believe would have been intended.
 
NascentOxygen said:
I have clarified the problem statement here, to present it as I believe would have been intended.
i mean that.
 
So you have a final equation for TIo that involves the mass of Io?
 
NascentOxygen said:
So you have a final equation for TIo that involves the mass of Io?
No, I do not have the equation. I am confused.
 
NascentOxygen said:
Where's the confusion?

The Attempt at a Solution


T1/T2=√(g2/g1)

How I can go ahead?
 
You'll need to show the working you followed in deriving that equation, by starting with something that you know to be right.
 
NascentOxygen said:
You'll need to show the working you followed in deriving that equation, by starting with something that you know to be right.
If you divideT1/T2=2*π√l/g1 / 2*π√l/g2. the you get the equation l= radious of the Pendulum and g is the gravitational constant.
 
Okay, so you need formulae or equations for g1 and g2 . What formula can you use for this?