Period of Pendulum A vs B: Find Faster Rate

  • Thread starter Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pendulum Period
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
CivilSigma
Messages
227
Reaction score
58

Homework Statement


Pendulum A is 20 cm long and has a 5g mass on it. Pendulum B is 30 cm long and has 10g mass on it. Which one has a faster period?


Homework Equations



d=v1t+0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution



First of all, does the mass of the pendulum matter at all? and if not then it I would need to find the time in both cases and divide by 1 right?

Time Pendulum A= 0.20 s which means that the period is 0.20 s.
Time Pendulum B= 0.25 s which means that the period is o.25 s.

Am I right? Thank you in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sakonpure6 said:
First of all, does the mass of the pendulum matter at all?

Nope.
and if not then it I would need to find the time in both cases and divide by 1 right?
?

Time Pendulum A= 0.20 s which means that the period is 0.20 s.
Time Pendulum B= 0.25 s which means that the period is o.25 s.
Whence these numbers?

Am I right? Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

No.
What's the formula for the period of a simple pendulum?
 
I do not know because we have not learned it. >.<
 
sakonpure6 said:
I do not know because we have not learned it. >.<

Then you'll have to derive it from the differential equation relating restoring torque to angular acceleration for small deviational angles.

Really it would be simpler for you to just look it up though.