Periodic and Chaotic Solutions to Chen System/Attractors

In summary, the conversation discussed the Chen System and how changing the values of a, b, and c can result in either chaotic or periodic solutions for a particle's trajectory. The speaker also expressed curiosity about the process used to select these specific values and requested for analytical assistance. The conversation also mentioned a graph showing the chaotic path of the particle.
HansBu
Homework Statement
I have a problem involving the new chaotic system dubbed as the Chen System. This involves a system of coupled nonlinear ordinary differential equations. My problem is to determine for which parameters a, b, and c would yield a periodic and chaotic solution.
Relevant Equations
The relevant equations are posted in the section below.
Here is the Chen System
reference.png

I am given the initial condition (t=0) that a particle lies on the xyz-plane at a point (-10,0,35). I was notified that if I plugged in a=40, b=5, and c=30, the trajectory of the particle will be chaotic. On the other hand, if I retained the values of a and c, and changing b to b = 10, periodic solutions will be obtained. My concern relies on how were these values picked. Is there any sort of mathematics (analytically) that was used here? I would appreciate any help that you would render. Below is the graph for the chaotic path of the particle.

reference 2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
HansBu said:
chaotic solution.
provide a definition please

One problem, two threads?

1. What is the Chen system?

The Chen system is a set of differential equations that describe the behavior of a chaotic system. It was developed by Chinese mathematician Guanrong Chen in 1984.

2. What are periodic solutions?

Periodic solutions in the Chen system refer to a set of solutions that repeat themselves after a certain period of time. These solutions are characterized by a stable and predictable behavior.

3. What are chaotic solutions?

Chaotic solutions in the Chen system refer to a set of solutions that exhibit a random and unpredictable behavior. These solutions are highly sensitive to initial conditions and can display aperiodic, non-repeating patterns.

4. What are attractors?

In the context of the Chen system, attractors are sets of solutions that the system tends to converge towards over time. These can be either periodic or chaotic, depending on the initial conditions and parameters of the system.

5. How are periodic and chaotic solutions related in the Chen system?

Periodic and chaotic solutions are both possible in the Chen system, and their existence is determined by the system's parameters and initial conditions. The system can exhibit both types of behavior, depending on the values of these factors.