1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodically Dampened Oscillator

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A body with mass m is connected to a spring in 1D and is at rest at X = A > 0. For the region X > 0, the only force acting on the mass is the restoring force of the spring. For the region X < 0, a viscous fluid introduces damping into the system.
    a) Find the speed of the particle at X = 0.
    b) Find the speed of the particle at X = 0, as it emerges from the X < 0 region.
    c) Find the maximal position D the body reaches in the positive region after having left the negative region

2. Relevant equations
    F = -kx for x > 0
    F = -kx-bv for x < 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) x(2) +k/m x = x(2) + ω02x = 0
    The characteristic equation for free oscillations:
    x = x0cos(ω0t + δ)
    where x0 = A and δ = 0
    x = Acosω0t
    From here its easy enough to find the the speed at x = 0 is Aω0
    b)x(2)+ 2βx(1)+ ω02x = 0 when x < 0
    The characteristic equation for this differential is:
    x = Ae-βtcos(ω1t) where ω1 is √(ω022)
    The period of oscillation is ∏/ω1

My confusion at this point is how to incorporate the initial velocity into this equation.
    Once I know that I can easily plug in the period into the velocity equation and find the new velocity at x = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to reconsider how you wrote the solution here. If you redefine t = 0 to be the time the body enters the viscous region, then what should x equal when t = 0?

Also, you can't assume that the constant factor "A" in the solution for x < 0 is the same A as in part (a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted