1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodicity of Inverse Trigonometric Functions

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My problem from before has been more or less resolved, but now I have a new, bigger problem. I need to figure out how to find recuring values for trig functions. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to

1. Get the equations associated with a given value for the trig functions
    2. Actually finding all of those values.

This is a problem for me because I can tell that this is a critical concept.

2. Relevant equations

My book gives me these equations for radians: x=30+360n or x=150+360n
    For radians: pi/6+2piN or 5pi/6+2piN. The book goes into little detail as to how to work these equations, and I would very much appreciate it if someone could tell me how to work them.

3. The attempt at a solution

One problem reads: List the solutions in degrees: cos^-1(1/2)= 60 (degrees), 300, 420, 660, 780, 1020, and I have absolutely no idea how they came up with that answer. Like I said before, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this, and please tell me if I should clarify any part of what I'm asking.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Think about it the other way around: What are all the angle measures (in degrees) for which the cosine of that angle is 1/2?

There are going to be two angles in each 360 degree full circle, so (in degrees),
    .5 = cos(60) = cos(300) = cos(360 + 60) = cos(360 + 300) = cos(720 + 60) = cos(720 + 300) = ...

All of the cosine function arguments are of the form 60 + n*360 or 300 + n*360, where n is an integer. (I have shown them for nonnegative integers n, but the pattern applies also to negative integers.
  4. Oct 28, 2008 #3
    Whoa, that just clicked beautifully. THANK YOU! I'm pretty sure I understand what I'm doing now.
  5. Oct 29, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

You're welcome!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?