Permanent national lab jobs and immigration status

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of connections and research record in landing a job at a national lab, and the potential disadvantage for non-US citizens in obtaining permanent positions. It is noted that job openings will specify if US citizenship or permanent residency is required, and that the process for obtaining a green card or work visa may vary depending on the job and the lab. It is also mentioned that while some national labs may be primarily focused on defense-related work, there are also non-defense related projects and opportunities for foreign nationals to work at these labs.
Catria
I understand that connections, research record will play a major role in landing an interview for a national lab job, even for a staff scientist position, and I wouldn't be opposed to working in a national lab after graduation (and any appropriate postdocs). However, that is not my question.

As I am not an US citizen, I feel that I would be at a disadvantage in an attempt to land such a permanent job. Perhaps my advisor is wrong on that count but since national labs are under the purview of the DOE, permanent jobs (as defined by USCIS) at national labs are primarily offered to US citizens, or US citizenship could even be a requirement.

But do permanent jobs at national labs actually have any requirements pertaining to citizenship? Or can a national lab sponsor an EB-2 green card if the position is permanent (or H-1B if the position is temporary)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the lab and depends on the job. X division at LANL is a different thing than a beamline position at SLAC.

Catria said:
I understand that connections, research record will play a major role in landing an interview for a national lab job, even for a staff scientist position, and I wouldn't be opposed to working in a national lab after graduation (and any appropriate postdocs). However, that is not my question.

As I am not an US citizen, I feel that I would be at a disadvantage in an attempt to land such a permanent job. Perhaps my advisor is wrong on that count but since national labs are under the purview of the DOE, permanent jobs (as defined by USCIS) at national labs are primarily offered to US citizens, or US citizenship could even be a requirement.

But do permanent jobs at national labs actually have any requirements pertaining to citizenship? Or can a national lab sponsor an EB-2 green card if the position is permanent (or H-1B if the position is temporary)?

The staff job opening will indicate if the job requires someone already having permission to work (i.e. permanent resident or US citizenship). If it doesn't, then yes, you may apply for it. If you get the job, you will probably start first with a H1 visa. This is because this takes less work and shorter time to be processed and approved, so that you may start work without significant delay. During that time, the lab will assist you in submitted your permanent residency application based on whatever categories that they deemed appropriate.

Note that it is unusual for someone fresh out of college to get a permanent staff position at a US Lab. More often than not, you will be applying for a postdoc position. Since this is a temporary position, the lab will only help you in getting the H1 visa.

Zz.

I have a permanent staff position at a US National Lab. I assure you that a huge percentage of the permanent staff were not US Citizens when they were hired. In my group non-US citizens outnumber US Citizens. A percentage (not sure what it is exactly) of the postdocs at my lab are not US Citizens.

I work for a science lab, it is likely somewhat different at the National Defense Labs (LANL, LLNL, Sandia, and to a lesser extent ORNL).

However, that does mean no postdoc at LANL, LLNL or Sandia for me...

Catria said:
However, that does mean no postdoc at LANL, LLNL or Sandia for me...

That is not true, either. There are many foreign nationals working at LANL, for example. This is because the lab also has non-DOD-related work. Again, it depends highly on the nature of the job and how it is funded! The job opening advertisement will explicitly mention if US citizenship/permanent residency is required.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
. This is because the lab also has non-DOD-related work.

To be more accurate you should say non-defense-related work as the DOE is charged with the stewardship of the nuclear arsenal. The labs do very little work explicitly associated with DOD (except of course leasing them weapons for $1 a year).

What is a permanent national lab job?

A permanent national lab job refers to a full-time position at a national laboratory, which is a government-funded research institution. These jobs are typically long-term and offer stability and benefits.

Are permanent national lab jobs open to non-US citizens?

Yes, permanent national lab jobs are open to non-US citizens. However, certain restrictions may apply depending on the specific lab and the individual's immigration status.

What are the different types of immigration status that may affect eligibility for permanent national lab jobs?

The most common types of immigration status that may affect eligibility for permanent national lab jobs are non-immigrant visas such as H-1B or J-1, permanent resident status (green card), and US citizenship.

Do permanent national lab jobs require US citizenship?

No, permanent national lab jobs do not require US citizenship. However, some jobs may have specific security clearance requirements that may limit the eligibility of non-citizens.

What is the process for non-US citizens to obtain permanent national lab jobs?

The process for non-US citizens to obtain permanent national lab jobs may vary depending on their immigration status. Generally, they will need to meet the job qualifications, obtain any necessary work authorization, and go through the same application and hiring process as US citizens.