1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutations and Transpositions

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Attached are some screen shots of portion of the textbook I'm currently working through:
    Capture.PNG Capture'.PNG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My first question, why exactly can't ##\Delta## contains ##x_p - x_q## only once (note, switched from ##i,j## to ##p,q##)? As you can see, the author didn't give many very details concerning this. Clearly ##\Delta## can also be written ##\Delta = \prod_{(i,j) \in S} (x_i - x_j)##, where ##S = \{(i,j) ~|~ 1 \le i < j \le n \}##. Since sets don't contain duplicates of elements, ##S## won't contain any pair ##(p,q)## twice, implying that ##x_p - x_q## won't appear in ##\Delta## more than once. Would this be the reason, that ##S## cannot contain duplicates? Seems to be a rather unremarkable reason, but if it gets job done...

Next, I am trying to prove that ##\sigma(\Delta)## contains either ##x_p - x_q## or ##x_q - x_p##, but not both. For simplicity, let ##g = \sigma^{-1}##. Suppose that ##\sigma (\Delta)## contains both factors. Then ##\sigma (\Delta) = (x_p - x_q)(x_q - x_p) \prod_{(i,j) \in S \setminus \{(p,q),(q,p)\}}##, and therefore

$$g (\sigma(\Delta)) = (x_{g(p))} - x_{g(q)})(x_{g(q)} - x_{g(p)}) \prod (x_{g(i)} - x_{g(j)})$$

$$\Delta = - (x_{g(p))} - x_{g(q)}) (x_{g(p))} - x_{g(q)}) \prod (x_{g(i)} - x_{g(j)})$$,

showing that ##\Delta## contains ##(x_{g(p))} - x_{g(q)})## twice, contradicting what we showed above.

I know: it isn't great. For one thing, the RHS could be ##- \Delta##, so that is one flaw in the argument. I hope someone can help. For all DF's verbosity, it doesn't really clearly spell out the details very well, which is why I don't like DF very much, although it has massive number of problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I presume you mean, why not more than once.
    It's because of the definition of the product. It is taken over the pairs (i,j) for which i<j. Therefore for a given pair of indices with i<j, the pair (i,j) occurs exactly once and the pair(j,i) does not occur at all.

For the same result after permuting the indices, it seems reasonably obvious to me, so I would be happy with the text as it stands. But if you feel it needs to be proved, your proof looks ok.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted