1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perpendicular Beam Deflection question

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a W21x68 beam with 1.388 kips per foot loading spanning 34 feet. The beam will carry the load but the maximum deflection is greater than wanted. We would like to put a W33x118 beam perpendicular to the centerline of the W21x68 (17 feet), to limit the deflection.

2. Relevant equations
    Calculating the the final deflection of the beams?

3. The attempt at a solution
    ?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this a homework question or a work related question? What is the span length of the W33? Is the W21 resting at the mid span of the W33? The location affects the relative stiffnesses of the beams.

4. May 21, 2012 #3
    Sorry I didn't get back to post until now, I have been out of the area for a bit.

It is a work problem. The problem is one for a concrete bridge. This question comes from the formwork that is to be used to pour the new bridge. The contractor I am working with wants to limit the total deflection to 1/4 inch if possible. The W33 will span 40 feet and will have 8 of the W21x68 resting on it at 4' - 8" spacing.

5. May 21, 2012 #4
    This question is more appropriate for a forum such as http://www.eng-tips.com where similar problems are often discussed (I suggest)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook