1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam deflection boundary condition calculation

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the deflection at x=L/4 and x=L/2 for the beam

2. Relevant equations

See attached pic.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I have the solution derived in class. Only 0<x<L/2 is derived because since the load on the beam is at L/2, the equation is valid for the entire beam since its symmetric (or something like that, if this isn't the correct explanation somebody tell me). My question concerns the boundary conditions. I know that at x=0, the displacement v=0. Hence you get C2=0. Now the second thing:

dv/dx=0 at x=L/2

I have no idea what dv/dx means, why its 0, and why its taken at x=L/2. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You ever heard of the 'slope' of the beam being discussed in your class? The slope = dv/dx.

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3
    ok, so what is the slope physically mean? Why is it 0 at x=L/2? It has something to do with the load P? I see that the derivative of moment is shear force, and the derivative of shear force is distributed force. But that has nothing to do with deflection right?

5. Feb 10, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start with deflection. What's the first derivative of a curve represent?

6. Feb 10, 2014 #5
    the slope, y/x. Why would dv/dx=0 at x=L/2? That makes no physical sense, because at x=L/2 there is a load P upward and it must deflect. Hence dv/dx can't be 0.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  7. Feb 10, 2014 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the slope of a curve in calculus class?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted