Continuous beam deflection (structural)

In summary, the point of maximum deflection will not occur where the BM is zero, it will occur close to where the BM is a maximum.
psyclone

Homework Statement

Using continuous beam theory, constructing BM diagram from points b to c, to calculate the max deflection. I only found a have a single solution, though the BM digram show two points of zero bending. I can provide the solution.

[edit: Rb = 685 N]

Homework Equations

d2v/dx2=-M(x)/ (IE)

The Attempt at a Solution

please find attached

[edit: please find revised attachment]

Attachments

• attach1(revised).pdf
    449.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
psyclone said:

Homework Statement

Using continuous beam theory, constructing BM diagram from points b to c, to calculate the max deflection. I only found a have a single solution, though the BM digram show two points of zero bending. I can provide the solution.

[edit: Rb = 685 N]

The point of max. deflection within a span will not occur where the BM is zero, it will occur close to where the BM is a maximum.

If you had a single beam which was fixed at both ends with an evenly distributed load applied, there would be two points where the BM = 0, but obviously, the maximum deflection would occur in the center of the beam. :wink:

If you were to make a rough sketch the deflected shape of this beam with its loading, you would see that there should be only one point in each span where the deflection will be a maximum or minimum. :smile:

Thank-you for your post.

Obviously, max deflection can not occur at BM = 0. In this case the fixed moments are not equal, therefore it won't occur at centre of beam.

Given, I've used 'three moment equation(s)' to arrive at the given moments at b and c, and reaction at b (reaction b is under the support b).

My question is, given the manner in which I've formulated the M(x) equation. Is it correct- given I have fixed unequal (in this case) BM's at points b and c, with a free moment due to dist load?

Your thoughts.

[edit] Please let me know if you need more information [edit]

Last edited:

What is continuous beam deflection?

Continuous beam deflection is a measure of how much a beam bends under load. It is an important aspect of structural engineering as it affects the overall stability and strength of a structure.

What factors affect continuous beam deflection?

The factors that affect continuous beam deflection include the type of material used for the beam, the length of the beam, the magnitude and distribution of the load, and the support conditions at the ends of the beam.

How is continuous beam deflection calculated?

Continuous beam deflection is typically calculated using mathematical equations and formulas based on the properties of the beam and the applied load. These calculations take into account factors such as the beam's moment of inertia, modulus of elasticity, and support conditions.

Why is continuous beam deflection important in structural design?

Continuous beam deflection is important in structural design because it helps engineers determine the appropriate size and strength of beams needed to support a structure. It also ensures that the beams will not bend or deform too much under the expected loads, which could compromise the safety and stability of the structure.

How can continuous beam deflection be minimized?

Continuous beam deflection can be minimized by using stiffer materials for the beam, reducing the length of the beam, and providing additional support points along the length of the beam. It is also important to carefully consider the distribution and magnitude of the load being applied to the beam.