1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous beam deflection (structural)

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using continuous beam theory, constructing BM diagram from points b to c, to calculate the max deflection. I only found a have a single solution, though the BM digram show two points of zero bending. I can provide the solution.

[edit: Rb = 685 N]

2. Relevant equations

d2v/dx2=-M(x)/ (IE)

3. The attempt at a solution
    please find attached

[edit: please find revised attachment]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point of max. deflection within a span will not occur where the BM is zero, it will occur close to where the BM is a maximum.

If you had a single beam which was fixed at both ends with an evenly distributed load applied, there would be two points where the BM = 0, but obviously, the maximum deflection would occur in the center of the beam. :wink:

If you were to make a rough sketch the deflected shape of this beam with its loading, you would see that there should be only one point in each span where the deflection will be a maximum or minimum. :smile:

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3
    Thank-you for your post.

Obviously, max deflection can not occur at BM = 0. In this case the fixed moments are not equal, therefore it won't occur at centre of beam.

Given, I've used 'three moment equation(s)' to arrive at the given moments at b and c, and reaction at b (reaction b is under the support b).

My question is, given the manner in which I've formulated the M(x) equation. Is it correct- given I have fixed unequal (in this case) BM's at points b and c, with a free moment due to dist load?

Your thoughts.

[edit] Please let me know if you need more information [edit]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted