Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Perpendicular force pulley system

1. Jul 5, 2017 #1
    mdG0p.jpg i would like to know if the forces exerted by the load on pulley 1 and 2 are equal when the motor star running , or if in pulley 1 is exerted more force because the location of the load at the end of the lifting platform. The lifting platform only moves vertically, restricted by rails. What I want to know if the load will exert a perpendicular force that could create friction on the rails and how to calculate that perpendicular force

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

You don't show the location of the rails, but with the load offset like that, you will likely get pretty bad loading on the rails and get the associated friction losses in the bearings.

4. Jul 6, 2017 #3
    But if the tension along the cord keeps constant once the motor start running, how can it be that forces exerted on pulley 1and 2 are different.

5. Jul 6, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I didn't say that they were different. I said they are higher than they would be if the load were more balanced.

6. Jul 7, 2017 #5
    Note that the arrangement you describe is very similar to that on some forklifts, if you replace "lifting platform" with "forks", "motor" with "hydraulic cylinder", and "pulley" with "chain sprocket".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted