Perpendicular force pulley system

In summary, the conversation is discussing the forces exerted by a load on two pulleys, with one pulley having a higher force due to the offset location of the load on a vertically moving lifting platform restricted by rails. The conversation also raises questions about the potential friction on the rails and the tension along the cord.
Jorcamero
mdG0p.jpg
i would like to know if the forces exerted by the load on pulley 1 and 2 are equal when the motor star running , or if in pulley 1 is exerted more force because the location of the load at the end of the lifting platform. The lifting platform only moves vertically, restricted by rails. What I want to know if the load will exert a perpendicular force that could create friction on the rails and how to calculate that perpendicular force

Physics news on Phys.org
Jorcamero said:
View attachment 206627 i would like to know if the forces exerted by the load on pulley 1 and 2 are equal when the motor star running , or if in pulley 1 is exerted more force because the location of the load at the end of the lifting platform. The lifting platform only moves vertically, restricted by rails. What I want to know if the load will exert a perpendicular force that could create friction on the rails and how to calculate that perpendicular force
Welcome to the PF.

You don't show the location of the rails, but with the load offset like that, you will likely get pretty bad loading on the rails and get the associated friction losses in the bearings.

But if the tension along the cord keeps constant once the motor start running, how can it be that forces exerted on pulley 1and 2 are different.

Jorcamero said:
But if the tension along the cord keeps constant once the motor start running, how can it be that forces exerted on pulley 1and 2 are different.
I didn't say that they were different. I said they are higher than they would be if the load were more balanced.

Note that the arrangement you describe is very similar to that on some forklifts, if you replace "lifting platform" with "forks", "motor" with "hydraulic cylinder", and "pulley" with "chain sprocket".

Likes berkeman

1. What is a perpendicular force pulley system?

A perpendicular force pulley system is a mechanical system that uses one or more pulleys to change the direction of a force applied to an object. The force is applied in a direction perpendicular to the motion of the object, rather than in the same direction as the motion.

2. How does a perpendicular force pulley system work?

A perpendicular force pulley system works by utilizing the principle of mechanical advantage. By using pulleys, the force applied to the object is distributed over multiple ropes, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object. The direction of the force is also changed, allowing for easier lifting in a different direction.

3. What are the components of a perpendicular force pulley system?

The main components of a perpendicular force pulley system typically include a rope or cable, one or more pulleys, and an object to be lifted. The rope is looped around the pulleys and attached to the object, creating a system that can change the direction and distribution of the applied force.

4. What are the advantages of using a perpendicular force pulley system?

One of the main advantages of using a perpendicular force pulley system is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object. This can make lifting heavy objects easier and more efficient. Additionally, the direction of the force can be changed, allowing for more flexibility in lifting and moving objects.

5. How is a perpendicular force pulley system used in real-life applications?

Perpendicular force pulley systems are commonly used in various industries, such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing. They can be found in cranes, elevators, and other lifting equipment. They are also used in everyday objects, such as window blinds and garage doors, to make them easier to open and close.