1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation Theory, exchange operator

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f3wbo4.png

Part (a): Find eigenvalues of X, show general relation of X and show X commutes with KE.
    Part (b): Give conditions on V1, V2 and VI for X to commute with them.
    Part (c): Write symmetric and antisymmetric wavefunctions. Find energies JD and JE.
    Part (d): How are unperturbed and perturbed energy levels related?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)
    The eigenvalues I found are ##\pm 1##, which seems right.

No problem with this showing X commutes with K too.

Part(b)
    I'm thinking X will commute with ##x^2##, so this means that V1 and V2 must be functions of ##x^2##.
    As for VI, I'm not sure.

Part (c)

For two particles A and B,
    Symmetric wavefunction is:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \left(|u,A>|v,B> + |v,A>|u,B>\right)[/tex]

Anti-Symmetric wavefunction is:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \left( |u,A>|v,B> - |v,A>|u,B>\right)[/tex]

I'm not sure what ##J_D## and ##J_E## are. I'm guessing ##J_E## is the first order perturbed energy ##<E|V_I|E>##?

Part (d)

The delta function means that ##x_1 = x_2##, so the perturbed energy levels is the same as unperturbed? Not sure why either.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2
    I'm guessing ##J_D## is the interaction energy, ##J_E## is the first order perturbed energy. So this perturbation "lifts" the degeneracy.

Isn't ##J_D = V_{|x_1-x_2|}## while ##J_E = <s+|V_I|s+>## where ##|s+>## is the symmetric wavefunction?

How do I overlap this symmetric wavefunction: ##\frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \left(|u,A>|v,B> + |v,A>|u,B>\right)##?
    Since ##u_{(x)}## and ##v_{(x)}## are orthonormal states, can I assume ##<u,A|v,A> = <u,B|v,B> = 0##?

Therefore ##\langle\psi_s|\psi_s\rangle = \frac{1}{2}\int \langle u,A|u,A\rangle\langle v,B|v,B\rangle + \langle v,A|v,A\rangle\langle u,B|u,B\rangle d^3r = \int 2|u|^2|v|^2 d^3r##?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  4. May 2, 2014 #3
    bumpp

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted