Time-Dependent Perturbation of a 1D Infinite Square Well

In summary, at t < 0 we have an unperturbed infinite square well. At 0 < t < T, a small perturbation is added to the potential: V(x) + V'(x), where V'(x) is the perturbation. At t > T, the perturbation is removed. Suppose the system is initially in the tenth excited state. Possible results of energy measurements at t = T/2, 3T/2, and infinity are determined by the wavefunction and not time.
acdurbin953

Homework Statement

At t < 0 we have an unperturbed infinite square well. At 0 < t < T, a small perturbation is added to the potential: V(x) + V'(x), where V'(x) is the perturbation. At t > T, the perturbation is removed. Suppose the system is initially in the tenth excited state if the unperturbed potential.

What are the possible results of energy measurements at t = T/2, 3T/2, and infinity. Explain how you would calculate the probability of each result. Indicate whether or not these probabilities should depend on time.

Homework Equations

ψn = A sin(nπx/a)
φ(x,t) = c(t)φ(x)e-iEt/ħ
E = (nπħ)2/2ma2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the system begins only in the tenth excited state of the unperturbed potential, there is no time dependence present via the wavefunction. And because the perturbation itself has no time dependence I believe that in all cases the probabilities should not depend on time for any t > 0. As t approaches infinity, the perturbation is long since removed, and I think the energy should be the same as it would be for any stationary wave function in the square well: E = (10πħ)2/2ma2.

What I'm not certain of is exactly how to determine the possible results of the energy measurements of the system for t = T/2 and 3T/2, or what these results would be. I am also not sure if my time dependence reasoning above is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
acdurbin953 said:
As t approaches infinity, the perturbation is long since removed, and I think the energy should be the same as it would be for any stationary wave function in the square well: E = (10πħ)2/2ma2.
The perturbation is sudden: that corresponds to a kick. Do you really think this wouldn't change the energy of the system?

An any case, nothing beats doing the calculation. Apply TDPT and see what you get.

DrClaude said:
The perturbation is sudden: that corresponds to a kick. Do you really think this wouldn't change the energy of the system?

An any case, nothing beats doing the calculation. Apply TDPT and see what you get.

Hmm. I guess that makes sense about the sudden perturbation removal causing an energy change. I'll give it go with applying TDPT for the first two cases t= T/2 and 3T/2. When the perturbation is removed, can the precise energy really be calculated? Given that we don't really know exactly how much the kick perturbs the system. I figure it would raise the energy, but I don't know what I would use in the TDPT to represent the kick.

Thank you for your help.

1. What is time-dependent perturbation in quantum mechanics?

Time-dependent perturbation is a theory in quantum mechanics that deals with the effects of a time-dependent external force on a system. It allows for the calculation of the wave function and energy levels of a system under the influence of a time-varying potential.

2. What is a 1D infinite square well?

A 1D infinite square well is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to describe a particle confined to a one-dimensional region with infinitely high potential barriers on either side. This model is often used to study the behavior of particles in a potential well or potential barrier.

3. How is time-dependent perturbation applied to a 1D infinite square well?

In the context of a 1D infinite square well, time-dependent perturbation is applied by introducing a time-varying potential to the system, which perturbs the particle's motion within the well. This perturbation is then used to calculate the changes in the particle's wave function and energy levels over time.

4. What are the assumptions made in the time-dependent perturbation theory of a 1D infinite square well?

The main assumptions made in this theory are that the potential is weak enough to be considered a perturbation, the system is in a stationary state before the perturbation is applied, and the perturbation is small enough to be treated as a first-order approximation.

5. What are the applications of time-dependent perturbation theory in physics?

Time-dependent perturbation theory has various applications in physics, including the study of atomic and molecular systems, quantum optics, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in the calculation of transition probabilities and decay rates in quantum systems.