Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian

In summary, Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian is a mathematical method used in quantum mechanics to approximate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system when the system's Hamiltonian is perturbed. It is typically used for complex Hamiltonians or small perturbations, with the main assumptions being a discrete and non-degenerate energy spectrum and no degeneracies or singularities caused by the perturbation. The process involves expanding the Hamiltonian into a series and solving for coefficients, but there are limitations to its accuracy for large perturbations and complicated systems.
Cazicami
Hi guys, this is my first time posting, I'm studying physics at uni, in my third year and things are getting a bit tough, so basically my question is in relation to solving problem 1, (i included a picture...) I missed the class and don't really know what I'm doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1364224737.407422.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1364224737.407422.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
That's an elementary problem in peturbation theory, you can't expect us to explain everything here.
Just read over the chapter, there is a very nice formula for it.

Sorry to trouble you then.

What is Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian?

Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian is a mathematical method used in quantum mechanics to approximate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system when the system's Hamiltonian (the operator that describes its energy) is slightly perturbed by an additional term.

When is Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian used?

Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian is typically used when the system's Hamiltonian is too complex to solve exactly, or when the perturbation is small enough that the approximations made by the theory are accurate.

What are the assumptions made in Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian?

The main assumptions of Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian are that the perturbation is small and that the system has a discrete and non-degenerate energy spectrum. Additionally, the perturbation must not cause any degeneracies or singularities in the energy levels.

What is the basic process of Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian?

The basic process of Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian involves expanding the Hamiltonian into a series of terms, with the unperturbed Hamiltonian as the first term and the perturbation as subsequent terms. The energy and wavefunction of the system are then approximated by solving for the coefficients of this series.

What are the limitations of Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian?

One major limitation of Perturbation Theory for a Hamiltonian is that it only works for small perturbations. If the perturbation is large, the approximations made by the theory will not be accurate. Additionally, the theory can become very complicated and difficult to apply for systems with a large number of energy levels.