Peskin - exponention of disconnected diagrams

In summary, the conversation discussed a question regarding the explanation of disconnected diagram exponentiation on page 97 of Peskin Schroeder. The formula on page 96 was understood, but the sum over {n_i} in the next step was unclear. It was clarified that the sum is necessary because a complete diagram is specified by the connected piece and the number of factors of each disconnected piece. The conversation also touched upon the conversion of \sum_{n_i} \frac{1}{n_i!}V_i^{n_i} into exp(V_i) and the reasoning behind it.
PJK
Hi all,

I have a question regarding p.97 of Peskin Schroeder and its explantion of disconnected diagram exponentation. I do understand the formula on the buttom of page 96. [tex]\prod{\frac{1}{n_i!}V_{i}^{n_i}} \cdot (value \; of\; connected \; piece)[/tex]

ButI do not understand the sum over [tex] \{ n_i \}[/tex] in the next step!
I would think that I have to sum over the values of all diagrams. Each value is given by the formula which I understand. But why are there two sums?

Physics news on Phys.org
A complete diagram is specified by (1) the connected piece, and (2) the number n_i of factors of each possible disconnected piece V_i. (The connected piece has the 2 external lines; the disconnected pieces have no external lines.) Summing over all diagrams is implemented by (1) summing over the possible connected pieces, and (2) summing over all possible numbers of factors of the disconnected pieces.

Ok I got it. Thank you!
What I find very strange though is that he converts [tex]\sum_{n_i} \frac{1}{n_i!}V_i^{n_i}[/tex] into [tex]exp(V_i)[/tex] - I mean for example n_1 can be an arbitrary number e.g. 999888 and not 1. This doesn't look like an exponential series to me.

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, he's summing over all possible values of n_i from 0 to infinity. Then he notes that this simply gives the series for the exponential function,

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty{x^n\over n!}=e^x[/tex]

1. What is the Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams?

The Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to simplify the calculation of scattering amplitudes. It involves summing over all possible combinations of disconnected Feynman diagrams, which represent the different ways particles can interact with each other.

2. Why is the Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams important?

The Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams is important because it allows for the calculation of scattering amplitudes to be greatly simplified. This is particularly useful when dealing with complex interactions between particles, as it reduces the number of diagrams that need to be considered and makes the calculation more manageable.

3. How does the Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams work?

The Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams works by using the Dyson-Schwinger equations, which relate the full Green's functions of a field theory to its bare Green's functions. By summing over all possible combinations of disconnected diagrams, the Dyson-Schwinger equations can be simplified, leading to a more manageable calculation of scattering amplitudes.

4. What is the difference between the Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams and the Dyson-Schwinger equations?

The Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams is a specific application of the Dyson-Schwinger equations in the context of quantum field theory. While the Dyson-Schwinger equations are a general mathematical tool, the Peskin exponentiation focuses specifically on the simplification of scattering amplitudes by summing over disconnected diagrams.

5. What are the limitations of the Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams?

While the Peskin exponentiation of disconnected diagrams is a powerful tool for simplifying calculations in quantum field theory, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to certain types of interactions between particles, and it may not always provide an accurate result for all possible diagrams. Additionally, the calculation can become more complicated if higher order diagrams need to be considered.