Srednicki's QFT: Feynman Rules and Feynman Diagrams

In summary, the Feynman diagram symmetry factor is the number of equivalent diagrams that result from a fixed set of input values for ##V## and ##P##.
Junaid456
I'm reading Srednicki's Quantum Field Theory. I 'm trying to read Srednicki's presentation of Feynman Diagrams in the chapter Path Integral for the Interacting Field Theory. Link to the book:

The path integral for the phi-cubed theory is equation 9.11 in the book. Please read that.

I get the following:

I get the following:

1. Feynman Diagrams are a away to to organize the terms in the aforementioned mammoth of an expression;
2. I understand the rules. See Srednicki for more details.
3. A diagram may represent a lot of different terms -- that is, those terms would be equivalent. That factor is given by the term: ##V!P!(3!)^P(2!)^V##
4. Note that the coefficient from the Taylor Expansion is: ##\frac{\displaystyle 1}{\displaystyle V!P!(3!)^P(2!)^V}##. It seems our counting factor exactly cancels the Taylor Expansion coefficient. Let's say that the numerical factor, after cancellation is, 1. But we may have over counted -- that is, a combination of permutations, described in the text, gives the same diagram. This is called the symmetry factor of the diagram. So, we must divide the numerical factor by the symmetry factor.

My question is as follows:

> Given my understanding of the Feynman Rules and Feynman diagrams, I am not sure how to figure out how many diagrams correspond to a fixed values of ##V## and ##P##, say ##V = V_{0}## and say ##P = P_{0}##. Let's say I have made a diagram, and I have computed its symmetry factor. I'm not sure how to figure how do I know how many different other diagrams are there and when have exhausted all possibilities.

It'd be great if someone could help me on this front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tip: for inline LaTeX, use ## as the delimiter, not $. If you hurry, I think you can you can still edit your post.

Okay. It'd be great if either you or someone else could answer the question though.

I don't think anyone can read the question, see post 2.

Because it's probably now too late for you to edit your post, I've changed the LaTeX delimiters for you. Maybe this will help.

What is Srednicki's QFT?

Srednicki's QFT (Quantum Field Theory) is a comprehensive textbook on quantum field theory, written by Mark Srednicki. It covers topics such as Feynman rules, Feynman diagrams, and the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics.

What are Feynman rules and Feynman diagrams?

Feynman rules are a set of mathematical rules used to calculate the probability of particle interactions in quantum field theory. Feynman diagrams, on the other hand, are graphical representations of these rules, which help visualize and calculate the various possible paths of particle interactions.

Why are Feynman diagrams important?

Feynman diagrams are important because they provide a visual representation of complex mathematical equations in quantum field theory. They also allow for a systematic and efficient way to calculate the probability of particle interactions.

What is the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics?

The path integral formulation of quantum mechanics is a mathematical framework that describes the behavior of quantum systems by considering all possible paths that a particle can take between two points in space and time. It is based on the principle of least action, where the particle takes the path that minimizes its overall action.

How can Srednicki's QFT be applied in real-life scenarios?

Srednicki's QFT is a fundamental theory that is used to understand and describe the behavior of particles and their interactions at a subatomic level. It has practical applications in various fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics.