Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponent of disconnected feynman diagrams

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello, I am trying to follow the arguments in Peskin pages 96-97 where the exponentiation of disconnected diagrams are performed. I think the 'proof' is too 'not detailed' and was wondering if there exists a better explanation elsewhere?

My biggest question is the sentence on page 97 "The sum of the connected pieces factors out..." and what n_i is/means. I understand better if one starts with the most basic case, then do it for one more case, and then generalizes it - I think the generalization comes immediately here =/

best regards

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2
    I studied this in the context of field theory in statistical physics quite some time ago. If the set of all conneceted diagrams is c_1, c_2, c_3,...., then any disconnected diagram can be written by specifying how many diagrams c_j it contains. If there are n_j diagrams c_j, then the amplitude is

Product over j of 1/n_j! c_j^n_j

Summing over all the disconnected diagrams, amounts to summing over all the possible values for n_j, which gives the result

exp[sum over j of c_j]

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanx for your answer, but I still don't get it 100%, guess I need to make up an own example of this and then generalize it ;-)

I also had this in quantum field theory in statistical physics, but did not bother so much to understand this back then.. we also had a quite advanced book, it was not introductory (Tseliks book on QFT in condensed matter). But now I am studying more in Peskin, which is nicer, but not nice enough, for me.

5. Mar 21, 2009 #4
    Well, it all boils down to the 1/n! symmetry factor if you have n times the same connected diagram. So, you get a factor of c^n/n! if you have n copies of diagram c as part of your disconnected diagram.... I don't think there is anything more to it than just this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook