1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pesky integral involving exponentials

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1

I am trying to see how, in my textbook,

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int_{0}^{\infty}x^3 ln(1-e^{-x}) dx
    = \frac{1}{3}\left[ x^3 ln(1-e^{-x}) \right]_{0}^{\infty} - \frac{1}{3}\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3 dx}{e^x - 1}
    = - \frac{\pi^4}{45}[/tex]

The integration by parts is clear enough, it's clear that first term of the middle expression evaluates at zero, and I recognise the standard integral that has been used to resolve the remaining integral... but how has exponent of e in the second integral suddenly gone from negative to being positive, without any change in the limits etc?

I would have written:

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int_{0}^{\infty}x^3 ln(1-e^{-x}) dx
    = \frac{1}{3}\left[ x^3 ln(1-e^{-x}) \right]_{0}^{\infty} - \frac{1}{3}\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3 dx}{1 - e^{-x}} = \frac{1}{3}\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3 dx}{e^{-x} - 1}[/tex]

I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm not seeing it just now.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2007 #2
    Hopefully this is what you are asking:

if you think of integration by parts as being f g' = f g - [tex]\int g f[/tex], then they are letting ln (1-e^-x) be the f in this case.

Taking the derivative gives [tex]1/1 - e^-x[/tex](-e^-x)(-1) by the chain rule. The two negatives cancel out to give

[tex]1/1 - e^-x[/tex](e^-x).

Bring e^-x = [tex]1/e^x[/tex] so your f' will be [tex]1/e^x (1 - e^-x)[/tex]

Multiply through to get f' = [tex]1/e^x - 1[/tex]
  4. Dec 16, 2007 #3

Of course. I just wasn't handling the log properly when I differentiated it (!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?