Petition to protect the internet against hackers

In summary, DavidSnider is working on a plugin that encrypts virus definitions. The plugin uses a modified XOR encryption system and has new features such as protection against executable uploads and invalid multi-byte characters in GET and POST fields.
tanus5
I would like your support in an urgent matter regarding internet security. As you know, hackers present a problem for both developers and users. This causes a game of cat and mouse between honest web developers and the hackers, with the users caught in the middle. Can I count on you to review our petition and technology? We are looking for experts and students to sign our petition which could help better protect, not only our current 3,000 users, and their over 1 million web pages, but also everyone on the internet, who are all potential targets for hackers.

Our technology:

http://www.vnetpublishing.com/websecuritytools/

Our fight:

http://ralphndiaritoch.info/2012/02/making-a-stand-against-anonymous-hackers-and-wordpress/

Our petition:

http://ralphndiaritoch.info/petition/

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I read the blog post.

I don't understand why you don't just encrypt the virus definitions and decode them later for use in the script?

Last edited:
DavidSnider,

I have considered doing that but it presents a few problems. First of all, depending on the encryption technique it may become impossible for users to create their own Virus definitions. Second of all explaining to average users how to create a virus definition file can be somewhat difficult, encrypting the files would only make it more difficult for them to understand. I am considering having a second "encrypted" repository, while maintaining support for raw static files and only including a fake static virus while keeping the distributed definitions encrypted. The real problem is getting them to restore the plugin to the repository so our users can get automatic update notifications. Currently if we make any changes to the plugin our existing users will have no way to know there is an improved version available. Encrypting definitions is on our TODO list though if we can find a way of implementing it which will not confuse the users.

OK.

How you are doing the matching of the virus definitions? Could you possibly just store the SHA-1 hash of the file and use that for comparison?

I am using the PHP explode function which splits a string by a delimiter, and I am using the virus as the delimiter. If the resulting array has a length > 1 than the file is infected. To repair the file the plugin then implodes the array with an empty string instead of re-implanting the virus. You can't do that with hashes. One additional note, there is one random file created by the plugin which has a known hash value. That is how the plugin identifies unknown Virus strains and will disable the website if the hash does not match since the plugin doesn't yet know how to get rid of the virus. The virus will most likely be "trapped" in that random PHP file making it fairly easy to identify the Virus and make a virus definition file.

Now that you know the facts, will you sign the petition? As you can see we are working for the best interest of our users. I know that no security system is 100% secure, but this algorithm is very successful at protecting and reclaiming web sites from hackers.

Last edited:
DavidSnider,

I took your advice and the latest version encrypts the virus definition files using a slightly modified XOR encryption system. The only deviation is that one bit in every byte is replaced with a checksum bit and every 8 bytes and at the end of the stream the stripped bits are inserted.

I also added a few new features such as protection against executable uploads, and protection against invalid multi-byte characters in the GET and POST fields. When I can find some free time I plan on releasing the plugin for more platforms.

1. What is a "Petition to protect the internet against hackers"?

A "Petition to protect the internet against hackers" is a formal request made by individuals or organizations to take action and implement measures to prevent unauthorized access, attacks, and other malicious activities by hackers on the internet.

2. Why is there a need for a petition to protect the internet against hackers?

The internet is a globally interconnected network that is vulnerable to cyber attacks by hackers. These attacks can have serious consequences, such as stealing sensitive information, disrupting services, and causing financial losses. A petition aims to raise awareness and urge authorities to take action to safeguard the internet and its users.

3. Who can sign a petition to protect the internet against hackers?

Anyone who is concerned about the security of the internet can sign a petition to protect it against hackers. This includes individuals, businesses, non-profit organizations, and government agencies.

4. What impact can a petition have on protecting the internet against hackers?

A petition can have a significant impact on protecting the internet against hackers as it can bring attention to the issue and put pressure on authorities to take action. By gathering a large number of signatures, a petition can demonstrate the widespread concern and need for action, potentially leading to the implementation of new security measures.

5. How can I support a petition to protect the internet against hackers?

You can support a petition to protect the internet against hackers by signing it and sharing it with others. You can also spread awareness about the issue and educate others on the importance of internet security. Additionally, you can reach out to government officials and organizations to express your support for the petition and urge them to take action.