PF Insights: The Official PF Blog

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF Insights is a blog that will be filled with casual and technical commentary on all things science and math. All written by your favorite select members from the PF community. The diversity of content should be it's real strength. One week you may find an entry on a member's work experience at a particle accelerator. The next week you could find a review of the hottest pop sci book. The next week you find a tutorial on an interesting way to solve an equation. The next week an opinion piece on the lack of science funding. The next week a commentary on a big science discovery. And on and on and on, the possibilities are endless!
As I am fairly new to this forum, can I ask the question what the value/purpose of these "Insight" articles is? In particular, are any of the people who might benefit from these articles actually reading them?

Physics news on Phys.org
rumborak said:
what the value/purpose of these "Insight" articles is?

To educate, inform, and entertain

rumborak said:
In particular, are any of the people who might benefit from these articles actually reading them?

Of course, we've gotten very good feedback so far

Greg Bernhardt said:
To educate, inform, and entertain
Of course, we've gotten very good feedback so far

Can you tell them to slow down.
My skull is full, and every time I read a new one, excess brain oozes out of my ears. :oldruck:

Seriously though, they are great!

BTW, who's idea was this?

OmCheeto said:
Can you tell them to slow down.
My skull is full, and every time I read a new one, excess brain oozes out of my ears. :oldruck:

Haven't your mom ever told you to close your head or your brain will ooze out?

Seriously though, they are great!

It came to Greg in a dream. :)

Zz.

Groovy.

OmCheeto said:
My skull is full, and every time I read a new one, excess brain oozes out of my ears.

Before sitting down to read PF I wear this to keep my brains inside my head

probanweldersskullcap-1.jpg

OmCheeto said:

The idea is nothing if we didn't have an amazing group of authors!

Likes phion and OmCheeto
btw, if you enjoy an entry, please make a comment, that's the only way the authors can know you enjoyed it :)

There are so many insights and they have such a high quality that it is astonishing! Please continue to produce these amazing insights!

Likes OmCheeto and Greg Bernhardt
montadhar said:
There are so many insights and they have such a high quality that it is astonishing! Please continue to produce these amazing insights!
I agree, PF Insights is off to an incredible start. We have 6 more articles in the pipeline to be published and many drafts being developed at this very moment. It's amazing! Our community is truly full of interesting people! We've been attracting a lot of attention on social media lately.

Likes dlgoff and Drakkith
Authors now have a badge that links to their Insights profile listing their posts.

Likes Drakkith
For some reason I have the link twice.

Edit: Weird, refreshing the page solved the bug.<--- about there

Likes Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
For some reason I have the link twice.
You are too quick. I created the error for about 5min :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
You are too quick. I created the error for about 5min :)
You can't get away with anything here Greg. Didn't you know that? :oldbiggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dlgoff said:
You can't get away with anything here Greg. Didn't you know that? :oldbiggrin:
I do know! I remember making a small error and Evo catching it within minutes. I couldn't believe it!

Likes dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
I do know! I remember making a small error and Evo catching it within minutes. I couldn't believe it!
Muwahahahaha! :oldbiggrin:

Evo said:
Muwahahahaha! :oldbiggrin:
That was 1.5 weeks now :p

Likes dlgoff, Evo and OmCheeto
The orange "Insights" link in the top nav now has a drop down for easy access to the formats. FAQ will be added shortly. Clicking the main tab still sends you to the main Insights page.

Hi, I submitted my personal details, when I will be able to write the actual article? (PS: I messed up the email, but now I updated my profile so the two emails are the same now)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
aleazk said:
Hi, I submitted my personal details, when I will be able to write the actual article? (PS: I messed up the email, but now I updated my profile so the two emails are the same now)
Welcome to the writing crew! We're always looking for writers!

Is there a process of having the insights reviewed before publishing?
I have this strange feeling that my chicken is going to get run over by a car, before it gets even halfway across the road. ...
And the field. How does one describe "the field"?
Ah ha! Chickens are surrounded by a field, which visually, mimics the square root law. Or was that the inverse square law?
No matter. Semantics will take a back seat. Math's be in the drivers seat!

OmCheeto said:
Entries are reviewed for non advisor members :)

Likes OmCheeto
Reviews are helpful for all entries in general, especially the more technical ones.

Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
I have this strange feeling that my chicken is going to get run over by a car, before it gets even halfway across the road.

I'd torpedo that chicken like it was Hitler crossing the english channel in a bass boat!

Likes OmCheeto
We're going to hit 100 Insights next week. That absolutely astounding and far beyond my best expectations. What a great resource. Thanks to all the authors!

Likes PWiz, dlgoff, OmCheeto and 3 others
We got a PF Insight on the front page of Reddit. #19 at the moment.
https://www.reddit.com/

If you have an account please consider hitting it for an upvote. Let's keep this going and get the Insights the recognition they deserve!

Likes dlgoff, Drakkith and OmCheeto
Greg Bernhardt said:
If you have an account please consider hitting it for an upvote. Let's keep this going and get the Insights the recognition they deserve!

Done.

Edit: It's at #16 as of 2:23 MST.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
140 published Insights! What an unbelievable resource Insights has turned into. Thanks to all the authors!

Likes gracy, PWiz, Intrastellar and 2 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
Very close to 200 Insights! Amazing!

Outstanding!