PF Insights: The Official PF Blog

  • Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF Insights is a blog that will be filled with casual and technical commentary on all things science and math. All written by your favorite select members from the PF community. The diversity of content should be it's real strength. One week you may find an entry on a member's work experience at a particle accelerator. The next week you could find a review of the hottest pop sci book. The next week you find a tutorial on an interesting way to solve an equation. The next week an opinion piece on the lack of science funding. The next week a commentary on a big science discovery. And on and on and on, the possibilities are endless!
  • #71
Greg Bernhardt said:
Always taking applications for those who want to write and are qualified!
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/application/

Please define "qualified"...

OmCheeto said:
Neater still, is after my nap, I went back and looked at my setup, and decided I wasn't qualified to tie my own shoes.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #72
OmCheeto said:
Please define "qualified"...

Bachelor's or higher in a math or science to be considered :)
 
  • #73
How long does it take for an application to be processed?
 
  • #74
I submitted an application to be a blog contributor a couple of days ago. Just wondering what happens next.. will I be informed if my application is rejected? How long would it typically take?
 
  • #75
Swamp Thing said:
I submitted an application to be a blog contributor a couple of days ago. Just wondering what happens next.. will I be informed if my application is rejected? How long would it typically take?
I'll contact you about it very soon, thanks!
 
  • #76
This morning, I can't get the link to comments ( "8 replies") to work on the insight "Scientific Inference P3:..."
 
  • #77
Stephen Tashi said:
This morning, I can't get the link to comments ( "8 replies") to work on the insight "Scientific Inference P3:..."
I saw that too, I'll fix it now
 
  • #79
Don't forget to share your favorite Insights on social media like Reddit, Facebook and Twitter! Reward the authors with the attention they deserve!
 
  • Like
Likes dlgoff
  • #80
Greg Bernhardt said:
Here is the request thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf-insights-topic-request.812096/
This link is giving "Page not Found". I was looking for some links I provided in a request some time ago and had hoped to search that thread, is it still available somewhere?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #81
I have added a feature at the homepage and thread level where 1-4 Insight entries are listed randomly picked at each page load from the past 20 recent Insights. The homepage lists them under the featured thread and the thread level lists them under the editor box. I'm trying to get these amazing works the most exposure possible! Some tweaking design wise is still in order.
 
  • Like
Likes tionis
  • #82
Er... Greg, have you tried viewing it on a mobile device? It looks horrible on my iPhone, and it is nasty on my iPad in portrait mode.

Zz.
 
  • #83
ZapperZ said:
Er... Greg, have you tried viewing it on a mobile device? It looks horrible on my iPhone, and it is nasty on my iPad in portrait mode.

Zz.
lol you weren't kidding. I'll fix it within the hour.
 
  • #84
Greg Bernhardt said:
The homepage lists them under the featured thread and the thread level lists them under the editor box.
Looks nice Greg. :bow:
 
  • #85
That new feature is amazing . i love seeing Sean Carroll anywhere.
 
  • Like
Likes dlgoff
  • #86
There is one annoying feature of Insight that I want to bring up. Maybe it has been addressed on here, but I'm too lazy to look at 5 pages of comments (sorry).

If I read an article on Insight, and decide to write a comment to it, I have to go back to the forum to find the relevant thread. Is there a simpler way to find this thread? It would be nice if the Insight article itself has a direct link to that thread. Otherwise, I have to hunt for the right forum and look for the thread, or do a global search for it.

Or maybe there's already a simple way to do this and I'm not seeing it.

Zz.
 
  • #87
ZapperZ said:
It would be nice if the Insight article itself has a direct link to that thread.
Most should have a button at the bottom. Which Insight were you looking at that didn't have one?
 
  • #88
Greg Bernhardt said:
Most should have a button at the bottom. Which Insight were you looking at that didn't have one?

Greg,

Oh, never mind. After seeing your post, I went back and found the BIG BLUE RECTANGULAR link that said "Discuss in the Community".

I probably scrolled past that to the very last comment, and I knew that the space for comment doesn't work on Insight. So that's why didn't see a way to go back to the thread on PF.

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes Dr. Courtney
  • #89
I am a great fan of the series of articles by Urs Schreiber, even though their content is almost incomprehensible to me. I like to know that this very valuable part of Greg's website contains high-level, technical contributions, too. So many thanks from my side to the writers. Keep them coming, guys!
 
  • Like
Likes ShayanJ and Greg Bernhardt
  • #90
dextercioby said:
I am a great fan of the series of articles by Urs Schreiber, even though their content is almost incomprehensible to me. I like to know that this very valuable part of Greg's website contains high-level, technical contributions, too. So many thanks from my side to the writers. Keep them coming, guys!
He'll keep writing if he knows you enjoy them. Drop a comment in his Insights that let you know you enjoy them :)
 
  • #91
dextercioby said:
Keep them coming, guys!
btw, we're always looking for new writers :)
 
  • #92
When I click on my "Insights Author" badge in my profile page, I go to a page with the following message:
Nothing Found Sorry, the post you are looking for is not available. Maybe you want to perform a search?
I don't have a plan to write anything for now, but this doesn't feel right!
 
  • #93
Shayan.J said:
I don't have a plan to write anything for now, but this doesn't feel right!
Yeah I need to fix that
 
  • #94
15 away from 300 Insights! Contact me if interested in writing!
 
  • Like
Likes Drakkith
  • #95
Suggestion: make the "Insight Author" badge in the forum
link to that author's insight-author page (which lists their insights).
 
  • #96
robphy said:
Suggestion: make the "Insight Author" badge in the forum
link to that author's insight-author page (which lists their insights).
We had that for awhile, but there is an issue with members that have spaces. Spaces aren't allowed in wordpress accounts so it would become a broken link. I couldn't find a workaround so I removed the link.
 
  • #97
Is it more than replacing all spaces? str_replace(" ","-",$username)
 
  • #98
mfb said:
Is it more than replacing all spaces? str_replace(" ","-",$username)
I'd have to create a little addon as that isn't allowed in templates, but I might rather do an htaccess rewrite.
 
  • #100
Shayan.J said:
When I click on my "Insights Author" badge in my profile page, I go to a page with the following message:
Nothing Found Sorry, the post you are looking for is not available. Maybe you want to perform a search?
I don't have a plan to write anything for now, but this doesn't feel right!
I just figured it out! The problem is, I changed my username. So when I click on my badge, my current PF username is sent but my wordpress username is still my old PF username.
 
  • #102
Added a complete link sitemap for general browsing
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/sitemap/
 
  • Like
Likes Drakkith and Borg
  • #103
Greg Bernhardt said:
Added a complete link sitemap for general browsing
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/sitemap/
Will there be a link in the INSIGHTS tab?
 
  • #104
Borg said:
Will there be a link in the INSIGHTS tab?
At the moment it's in the nav inside Insights. Do you think there should be one for the forums drop down?
 
  • #105
I continued to look around and saw that it was on the Articles page. So, if even I could find it, it's probably easy to find. :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes Greg Bernhardt

Similar threads

  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
32
Views
2K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
22
Views
2K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
16
Views
2K
  • Feedback and Announcements
2
Replies
39
Views
10K
  • Feedback and Announcements
2
Replies
36
Views
5K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
15
Views
2K
  • Feedback and Announcements
2
Replies
56
Views
6K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
1
Views
744
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
11
Views
3K
Back
Top