PF Males' Top Guy Movies: Debating Men's Journal List

In summary, the Men's Journal's top 50 guy movies of all time are The Great Escape, Dirty Harry, Godfather, Caddyshack, The Seven Samarai, Three Stooges, The Great Escape, Dirty Dozen, The Right Stuff, and Rocky. My son is getting married this weekend and my house happens to be full of women right now. Too much chick talk! The conversation switched to movies, and one of the women mentioned the Great Escape. My response: "Best guy movie ever!" (So it dates me). A second later, Magnificent Seven came up (the movies have actors in common). "Second best guy movie of all time!". So, my top two.
Well, my dentist reminded me today about the Marathon Man. Problem is, she is she-dentist, so I am not sure if the movie qualifies. We were not talking about guy movies but about eugenol that she has on the table, and Marathon Man was just a movie where eugenol was used (do you remember Dustin Hofmann with drilled teeth?)

Have we listed Dirty Harry? I think yes, but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention the Day of the Condor - great spy movie!

turbo-1 said:
I forgot to mention the Day of the Condor - great spy movie!
You might be crossing "The Day of the Jackal" (1973) with "Three Days of the Condor" (1975).

I thought Enemy of the State (1998) was pretty good, as was Conspiracy Theory (1997), but the latter involved a relationship.

Astronuc said:
You might be crossing "The Day of the Jackal" (1973) with "Three Days of the Condor" (1975).

I thought Enemy of the State (1998) was pretty good, as was Conspiracy Theory (1997), but the latter involved a relationship.
You're right - it was Three Days of the Condor with Redford. One of his better efforts. I liked Sneakers, too.

Last edited:
NateTG said:
Since westerns seem to be a bit underrepresented:

How could I have not thought of Tombstone! Definitely a favourite. I guess I don't watch westerns enough.
And how about...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Cool Hand Luke (not a western I guess)

All of you guys here and not one mention of "Blazing Saddles"?

GeorginaS said:

No one has mentioned "Debbie Does Dallas" either. :-/

It isn't a tough guy movie or anything, but Mars Attacks is pretty funny. "We come in peace, zap zap, we come in peace, zap zap.?

turbo-1 said:
Michael Clayton is a pretty good movie, as are all of the Bourne series.

Oh mannnnn, seriously? You like clayton. Why? That was a real STINKER.

Ransom.

GeorginaS said:
I actually thought about that one. :rofl:

Then there is 'Galaxy Quest'. It's corny, but funny. :biggrin:

I like Peter Sellers in a number of movies, particularly the Pink Pather series.

Night of the Living Dead
When We Were Kings
The Hustler
Bull Durham
Cocktail
Apocalypse Now
Pulp Fiction
Lethal Weapon
Drunken Master II
Enter the Dragon
Cross of Iron
Black Hawk Down
Gladiator
Road Warrior

Astronuc said:
I actually thought about that one. :rofl:

Then there is 'Galaxy Quest'. It's corny, but funny. :biggrin:

I like Peter Sellers in a number of movies, particularly the Pink Pather series.

See? I'd consider those fairly Guy-Standard-Movies too! But not being a guy, again, I wasn't sure that I was allowed a vote. :wink: However, the guys I've been involved with tended to be fans of these, so I figure I must have some cred.

Thai Warrior

GeorginaS said:
See? I'd consider those fairly Guy-Standard-Movies too! But not being a guy, again, I wasn't sure that I was allowed a vote. :wink: However, the guys I've been involved with tended to be fans of these, so I figure I must have some cred.

Most of my favourite movies are not what I would call "guy movies". I think DH's idea was to highlight the more testosterone soaked stereotypical "guy movie" with fights and guns and such. Though I was thinking of mentioning Canonball Run.

And one I just watched last night; Smokin' Aces. It's about a mob guy who winds up with a million dollar price on his head because he is negotiating a deal with the FBI. Suddenly a whole mess of people are all converging on his hideout all for their own various reasons, mostly those who want to kill him. It has a 'Usual Suspects' sort of ending but not quite as good.

"The Usual Suspects" is a super-dooper-excellent movie.

But, okay, testosterone-soaked. Got it. :biggrin: (See? I shouldn't have been allowed in this thread after all.) So, all "Die Hard" and "Die Harder" to counteract all of the froo-froo wedding activities. (But I have to say that my ex would forgo any and all action flicks if "Blazing Saddles" was on.)

Last edited:
I'd put Field of Dreams on this list.

Ong bak!

Payback might qualify...

One was not mentioned here which I consider my "guy movie" fav.,

Snatch