Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF PHOTO CONTEST - The Tree Of Life (9/13-9/19)

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The Tree Of Life

This one should be easy. Pictures this week must be on trees. Trees (or a tree) must be the main subject of your picture, not the background scenery, the people in front of it, or anything else. Please note that fake trees do not qualify.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I'll start this one off.

[​IMG]

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
    Great shot, Janus,

Browsing the tree archives

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A nifty tree I found in HI.
    [​IMG]

6. Sep 13, 2008 #5
    Can it be of like a branch? I've got a great one of this delicate branch with buds on it, in B and W...

7. Sep 13, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Fruit on one of my apple trees. Apples, dried, pressed for cider, made into vinegar, or kept whole over the winter, have long been a Maine staple food. For Mainers in hard times, apple trees were a "tree of life". Every old farmhouse up here has (or had, until suburbanites bought them) apple trees near the kitchen. Apart from the little bare-root apple seedlings that I planted here in the last couple of years, there are at least a dozen older trees on the property, some of which are very hardy old varieties that wouldn't make a splash in the stores, but that keep really well in winter. I missed my window of opportunity last year (for seedlings), but hope to add some Black Oxford trees to my property. Those are wonderful apples that don't get edible until they are hit with a heavy frost, and in a cold cellar they will keep until spring. BTW, I don't have a clue what variety these apples are. They are tart and crispy, and keep much better than Macs, though.

Edit: My apples are grown with NO pesticides at all. Before the blossoms set and after the blossoms are off, I spray the trees with canola oil in a hose-fed orchard sprayer. The canola oil smothers bugs over-wintering in crevices in the bark and smothers eggs (and larvae) that might have been laid by bugs in the spring. Bugs that attack apples need to breathe, and canola oil smothers them with no damage to the trees, fruit, soil, etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. Sep 14, 2008 #7
  9. Sep 14, 2008 #8
    I really like that one, Andre. Struck a cord with me.
    Edit: Forget the dumb pun. I really do like the picture. It did strike a chord with me.

10. Sep 14, 2008 #9
    Moment before a northern Georgian sunset

[​IMG]

11. Sep 14, 2008 #10
    Arizona tree of life.

[​IMG]

12. Sep 15, 2008 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I really like Moonbear's picture. Simple, warming, quiet...

I like it.

13. Sep 15, 2008 #12
    And the colors are so vibrant. The road leads your eye from the front to the back where the ocean is and the tree is off to the left not taking up the center of the frame.

It's really just a quality picture.

14. Sep 15, 2008 #13

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Seems like trees are particularly popular subject...

15. Sep 15, 2008 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

16. Sep 15, 2008 #15
    OOOoooo. Very nice ZapperZ; the wind blown snow on the right side of the trees give the appearance of a charcoal sketch when the dark bark is contrasted with the white sky.

17. Sep 15, 2008 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, definitely. I like it.

18. Sep 15, 2008 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

Anyways, here's my picture.

It's the Chateau Frontenac, Quebec City.

The nice part is looking up at the castle through the trees, especially on a nice day.

Not sure if it qualifies... I'll look for other.

19. Sep 15, 2008 #18

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Thank you. When I downloaded the picture from my camera, it did appear to me as if the photo was really a black-and-white pencil sketch. I had to take the picture (which actually is a scene just outside the experimental building) because of the snow still sticking to one side of the tree trunks and branches. It reminded me of all the painting instruction shows on PBS where they shaded one side to indicate the side where the light is coming from.

Zz.

20. Sep 15, 2008 #19
    I can't see zapperz picture.

21. Sep 15, 2008 #20

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Some time ImageShack is messed up. Wait a day. If it doesn't come back, I may have to upload it again to Photobucket.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?