PF5 Problems and Errors

Please use this thread to report errors and functional problems. Please don't post about preferences, likes, dislikes etc. Please keep in mind I am still working on a lot of things. Thanks!!

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Alerts do not seem to be present the way they were before. There were a few counts of something on top of a bell icon but when I opened that, there were many many posts listed, while the number over the bell icon showed "4".
Quick recheck: Bell icon has a red square with a white-text "5". Not the right count of not sure how many of what that is supposed to count.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I now see how that icon works. Just left-clicking it will show a list of threads (or posts?) and the count number seems to correspond to the latest items in the list. The bell icon is the list of Alerts.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Not a priority, just a reminder:
the Newsletter still lists all under "General Physics" which creates the impression we have no other forums.

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
Did you start ads for members as well? I can see some ads even when logged in.

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am having trouble with MathJax in the new version.
When I edit a post with latex code in it, and then save, it now gets the same error we used to get when we quoted part of a post with latex code in rather than the whole post - which is that the encoding delimiters disappear and everything gets duplicated.

It took me several attempts to get my post correct in this thread, and I can see that at least one other seems to be having MathJax troubles as well.

I am using Firefox on Linux Mint.

cnh1995

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I saw that the previous "Like count" has now become "reaction score". Does this mean there will be other reactions available as well?
PS: PF5 is very cool!

On a 1536×2048 portrait oriented tablet screen, when viewing the desktop version of the site the main page is crunched to one side like this:

On a 1536×2048 portrait oriented tablet screen, when viewing the desktop version of the site the main page is crunched to one side like this:
undefined
This was worked on, can you check if better now?

This was worked on, can you check if better now?
Yes, the layout in desktop mode looks proportional now. Thanks.

What follows is preference-adjacent, but it is the reason I was trying the desktop view in the first place.

Is there a user option to get the mobile view of the main page to be in two columns like that, and how it used to be? The single column view is a chore to scroll through, and doesn't allow glancing over the top posts quickly. Switching back and forth to desktop view every time I visit the front page will probably make me want to visit the site less often.

Not to mention that the single column view just looks out of place on a 1536 pixel wide 8" display. It makes me have to move my fingers way too much, to the point that I can imagine it being an accessibility issue for some tablet users.

Now that I consider it, this isn't preference at all, since it causes a pronounced waste of time in viewing the front page whether I try to work around it or not. If it were just a preference, it wouldn't be capable of wasting my time, so this is a usability issue instead.

Not to mention that the single column view just looks out of place on a 1536 pixel wide 8" display. It makes me have to move my fingers way too much, to the point that I can imagine it being an accessibility issue for some tablet users.
weird, it should not collapse to single column until 900px. what tablet are you using?

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Homework template missing in Intro Phys HW. Oversight or intention ?

Last edited by a moderator:
weird, it should not collapse to single column until 900px. what tablet are you using?
Asus P01M. I'm using Chrome version 73.0.3683.75 on Android 5.0.

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A minor issue (I noticed this pre-dating the upgrade, but since you're fixing things now, it also might as well get fixed): The PhysicsForums twitter account often tweets about posts on the forum without actually including a link to the post discussed (see example below):
2019-03-25 09.04.37.png

The PhysicsForums twitter account often tweets about posts on the forum without actually including a link to the post discussed
hmmm that is a wordpress plugin I use to do that automatically. It should link, I'll have to investigate.