PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
Please use this thread to report errors and functional problems. Please don't post about preferences, likes, dislikes etc. Please keep in mind I am still working on a lot of things. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alerts do not seem to be present the way they were before. There were a few counts of something on top of a bell icon but when I opened that, there were many many posts listed, while the number over the bell icon showed "4".
Quick recheck: Bell icon has a red square with a white-text "5". Not the right count of not sure how many of what that is supposed to count.

symbolipoint said:
There were a few counts of something on top of a bell icon but when I opened that, there were many many posts listed, while the number over the bell icon showed "4".
The count is unread just like before

I now see how that icon works. Just left-clicking it will show a list of threads (or posts?) and the count number seems to correspond to the latest items in the list. The bell icon is the list of Alerts.

Not a priority, just a reminder:
the Newsletter still lists all under "General Physics" which creates the impression we have no other forums.

fresh_42 said:
the Newsletter still lists all under "General Physics" which creates the impression we have no other forums.
Did it just get sent now?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Did it just get sent now?
No, the last one, last Tuesday. I just thought this thread here would turn into a list for you, so I thought I add it.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Did you start ads for members as well? I can see some ads even when logged in.

Likes cnh1995
Wrichik Basu said:
Did you start ads for members as well? I can see some ads even when logged in.
For mobile I need to configure, should be gone in the next few days.

Likes cnh1995 and Wrichik Basu
I am having trouble with MathJax in the new version.
When I edit a post with latex code in it, and then save, it now gets the same error we used to get when we quoted part of a post with latex code in rather than the whole post - which is that the encoding delimiters disappear and everything gets duplicated.

It took me several attempts to get my post correct in this thread, and I can see that at least one other seems to be having MathJax troubles as well.

I am using Firefox on Linux Mint.

I saw that the previous "Like count" has now become "reaction score". Does this mean there will be other reactions available as well?
PS: PF5 is very cool!

cnh1995 said:
I saw that the previous "Like count" has now become "reaction score". Does this mean there will be other reactions available as well?
PS: PF5 is very cool!
Hover over the "Like" link in a post.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby and cnh1995
Greg Bernhardt said:
Hover over the "Like" link in a post.
How do you do that from mobile?

Wrichik Basu said:
How do you do that from mobile?
What happens when you press and hold?

• Love
Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
What happens when you press and hold?
Done. Thanks.

On a 1536×2048 portrait oriented tablet screen, when viewing the desktop version of the site the main page is crunched to one side like this:

The Bill said:
On a 1536×2048 portrait oriented tablet screen, when viewing the desktop version of the site the main page is crunched to one side like this:
undefined
This was worked on, can you check if better now?

Greg Bernhardt said:
This was worked on, can you check if better now?
Yes, the layout in desktop mode looks proportional now. Thanks.

What follows is preference-adjacent, but it is the reason I was trying the desktop view in the first place.

Is there a user option to get the mobile view of the main page to be in two columns like that, and how it used to be? The single column view is a chore to scroll through, and doesn't allow glancing over the top posts quickly. Switching back and forth to desktop view every time I visit the front page will probably make me want to visit the site less often.

Not to mention that the single column view just looks out of place on a 1536 pixel wide 8" display. It makes me have to move my fingers way too much, to the point that I can imagine it being an accessibility issue for some tablet users.

Now that I consider it, this isn't preference at all, since it causes a pronounced waste of time in viewing the front page whether I try to work around it or not. If it were just a preference, it wouldn't be capable of wasting my time, so this is a usability issue instead.

The Bill said:
Not to mention that the single column view just looks out of place on a 1536 pixel wide 8" display. It makes me have to move my fingers way too much, to the point that I can imagine it being an accessibility issue for some tablet users.
weird, it should not collapse to single column until 900px. what tablet are you using?

Homework template missing in Intro Phys HW. Oversight or intention ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
weird, it should not collapse to single column until 900px. what tablet are you using?

Asus P01M. I'm using Chrome version 73.0.3683.75 on Android 5.0.

BvU said:
Homework template missing in Intro Phys HW. Oversight or intention ?
whoops! that was a big oversight! :D

A minor issue (I noticed this pre-dating the upgrade, but since you're fixing things now, it also might as well get fixed): The PhysicsForums twitter account often tweets about posts on the forum without actually including a link to the post discussed (see example below):
2019-03-25 09.04.37.png

Ygggdrasil said:
The PhysicsForums twitter account often tweets about posts on the forum without actually including a link to the post discussed
hmmm that is a wordpress plugin I use to do that automatically. It should link, I'll have to investigate.

Some thumbnails for videos in the media gallery are not visible. One is on the home page itself.

Wrichik Basu said:
Some thumbnails for videos in the media gallery are not visible. One is on the home page itself.
I'm rebuilding the thumbnails now, hopefully that helps.

Likes Wrichik Basu
I am facing one odd problem: drop down menu options in the header are moving away when I zoom in. This is from Chrome, Android, text scaling set to 100%. Have a look at this video (quality is a bit low, but you'll be able to understand what I want to say, change to 360p)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
whoops! that was a big oversight! :D
Still unsatisfactory: Currently one cannot get a complete preview: title, problem statement and relevant equations are missing. Unpractical if they contain lots of ##\LaTeX##

A feature that begins to irritate: 'alerts' was replaced by an alarm bell that has to be clicked to see the list.
Click and the counter is gone altogether.

BvU said:
Still unsatisfactory: Currently one cannot get a complete preview: title, problem statement and relevant equations are missing. Unpractical if they contain lots of ##\LaTeX##
Are you referring to the quick thread within the thread list?

BvU said:
A feature that begins to irritate: 'alerts' was replaced by an alarm bell that has to be clicked to see the list.
I'm not sure I understand your issue. That the label was replaced by an icon or that hover has been replaced by a click?

BvU said:
Click and the counter is gone altogether.

That is by design. It's a counter for how many alerts are unread. Once you click, are you not reading the alerts? This is not an unread thread counter.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you referring to the quick thread within the thread list?
No. To the intro phys HW forum. When I click on 'post thread'

BvU said:
No. To the intro phys HW forum. When I click on 'post thread'
Confirmed

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm not sure I understand your issue. That the label was replaced by an icon or that hover has been replaced by a click?
the latter :rolleyes: but I think I once complained about ALL entries reacting to a passing mouse pointer

That is by design. It's a counter for how many alerts are unread. Once you click, are you not reading the alerts?
When I wake up and I have ten or more of them, a) the clicking and waiting for a response to see them begins to annoy, b) it's very hard to keep track of which ones I looked at and which ones will have to wait until I'm at work :nb) -- or back home

<h2>1. What is PF5 and why is it important to report and discuss problems and errors?</h2><p>PF5 stands for "Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss" and it is a process used in scientific research to identify and address issues that may arise during experiments or data analysis. It is important to report and discuss these problems and errors in order to maintain the integrity and accuracy of scientific findings.</p><h2>2. What are some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research?</h2><p>Some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research include equipment malfunctions, human error, biased data, and insufficient sample sizes. These can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions if not addressed and corrected.</p><h2>3. How can reporting and discussing problems and errors improve the quality of scientific research?</h2><p>By reporting and discussing problems and errors, scientists can identify and correct any issues that may affect the accuracy of their research. This can lead to more reliable and valid results, ultimately improving the overall quality of scientific research.</p><h2>4. What is the process for reporting and discussing problems and errors in scientific research?</h2><p>The process for reporting and discussing problems and errors may vary depending on the specific research project and team. However, it typically involves documenting the issue, discussing it with other researchers or colleagues, and implementing a solution or making necessary adjustments to the research methods.</p><h2>5. How can scientists prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research?</h2><p>There are several steps scientists can take to prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research. These include carefully planning and designing experiments, using reliable and calibrated equipment, double-checking data and calculations, and having a thorough understanding of the scientific methods being used.</p>

1. What is PF5 and why is it important to report and discuss problems and errors?

PF5 stands for "Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss" and it is a process used in scientific research to identify and address issues that may arise during experiments or data analysis. It is important to report and discuss these problems and errors in order to maintain the integrity and accuracy of scientific findings.

2. What are some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research?

Some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research include equipment malfunctions, human error, biased data, and insufficient sample sizes. These can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions if not addressed and corrected.

3. How can reporting and discussing problems and errors improve the quality of scientific research?

By reporting and discussing problems and errors, scientists can identify and correct any issues that may affect the accuracy of their research. This can lead to more reliable and valid results, ultimately improving the overall quality of scientific research.

4. What is the process for reporting and discussing problems and errors in scientific research?

The process for reporting and discussing problems and errors may vary depending on the specific research project and team. However, it typically involves documenting the issue, discussing it with other researchers or colleagues, and implementing a solution or making necessary adjustments to the research methods.

5. How can scientists prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research?

There are several steps scientists can take to prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research. These include carefully planning and designing experiments, using reliable and calibrated equipment, double-checking data and calculations, and having a thorough understanding of the scientific methods being used.