PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you try now?
Working great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
FF 66.01; I checked, entered my name and pw and noticed it unchecked.
hmmm I can't reproduce on 66.01 or 66.02, perhaps an autofill is messing with it? Anyone else?

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm I can't reproduce on 66.01 or 66.02, perhaps an autofill is messing with it? Anyone else?
Could not reproduce the problem on Chrome mobile.

fresh_42 said:
@Greg Bernhardt
Could you add "Challenge" to the possible prefixes in General Math?
I need to give you permissions, one sec, I changed for you for now

Greg Bernhardt said:
I need to give you permissions, one sec, I changed for you for now
You are definitely too fast for me. I just wanted to delete the report ...
Thx!

One weird thing: if I open tabes, sometimes I get the PF logo and the thread title as the tab title, and sometimes I get the PF logo, a number (usually 1, but up to 4) in parentheses, and then the thread title. Is this some debugging code that hasb't been deactivated?

Oh, and now that I am logged in quasi-permanently, I don't see anything odd in the login screen, because I no longer see the login screen.

Vanadium 50 said:
One weird thing: if I open tabes, sometimes I get the PF logo and the thread title as the tab title, and sometimes I get the PF logo, a number (usually 1, but up to 4) in parentheses, and then the thread title. Is this some debugging code that hasb't been deactivated?
All I can think of is you're opening a new tab the exact moment your browser re-polls the server for updates. The number in parentheses might be the number of new alerts or PMs? See any connection there?

Greg Bernhardt said:
The number in parentheses might be the number of new alerts or PMs? See any connection there?

Could be. Like one of my posts and we'll see. :biggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Yup. That's it.

On the forum page for the new insight article (https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...evolutionary-within-20-years-comments.969568/) , the links to the author usernames in the exerpt do not work (other links embedded in the exerpt do work).

The links on the actual insights page do work, but I had no idea that the usernames were links. Maybe if they were colored like the other links, it would be more obvious that are clickable.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Ygggdrasil said:
the links to the author usernames in the exerpt do not work (other links embedded in the exerpt do work).
Should be fixed now

Likes Ygggdrasil
OP identification!

m4r35n357 said:
OP identification!
There is a little icon next to the username

Likes berkeman
Oh, completely didn't see that, ta!

Another inconvenience. If I am on the page which lists all alerts and a new one comes in, then I can display it with a refresh (F5) but the small red marker on the alert bell does not refresh until I click it. Not a big deal, but a bit disturbing as it makes tracking the new ones more inconvenient.

Likes Bystander
fresh_42 said:
tracking the new ones more inconvenient.
Motion seconded.

fresh_42 said:
...but the small red marker...
Seems to have taken up residency on my bookmark. . . lol

Since we're on to the 'inconveniencies' now...

1) Restore dashed outline around user-current forum and thread lists.
The main page that lists all the forums, and the thread lists in the the forums, used to put a dashed line around a forum you clicked on. Please restore that. Since I open forums and threads in a new tab, I used that dashed outline to keep track of where I left off!

2) Need more contrast of pinned threads background.
In the individual forums, the background for pinned threads has little contrast with the background for the 'normal' threads. Makes it hard to know where to start looking for the current/normal threads.

Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...elp-bar-see-attached-file.969866/post-6160330

I click on the image that is attached thereto and...
When the image overlay comes up, the fourth icon in the upper right (the one with the downarrow) seems to indicate Download (no dropdown labels for those buttons), but no download occurs and no file is written to disk. The image is replicated as an additional layer without any icons or source reference.

The only way to dismiss this second layer is with the browser Back button. Then the thread text flashes briefly, followed by return of the image with the buttons present and functional.

It seems problem statement and relevant equations cannot be quoted.

1 bug + 2 significant annoyances.

Ref: "MY PF" -> "Search" page:
1) ignores the "Posted by:" field when returning results.
2) doesn't allow opening a result thread in a new tab, requiring re-entry of search terms to look at the rest of the results.
3) returns only 5 results regardless of subject

Try:
Keywords: dehumidifier
Posted by: Tom.G
returns results to which I have not posted.
must start the search over again to look at subsequent results.

Tom.G said:
Try:
Keywords: dehumidifier
Posted by: Tom.G
returns results to which I have not posted.
must start the search over again to look at subsequent results.
Works correctly for me.

What happened to the background information on the members option : Location, education...?

It's under the about tag (click on the member name and then click on the member name)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Can "log out" become visible without that extra click&drag down ?

• Love
Likes dlgoff, Wrichik Basu and Tom.G
This is a feature request. On the home page, the widget "members online now" is visible on the sidebar. Could this be visible in other pages also, eg. when I am viewing a forum or when I am viewing a thread? The sidebar is already present, maybe just add the widget?

Wrichik Basu said:
The sidebar is already present, maybe just add the widget?
I thought you were on mobile mostly :) Visually the sticky sidebar works best if if it's compact and everything fits on above the fold otherwise there is a weird effect. I'll play with it a bit.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
I thought you were on mobile mostly :
I am on mobile almost always, but with Desktop view turned on. Otherwise I can't get the proper feeling that I'm here :wink:

Likes fresh_42 and Greg Bernhardt
The "Alerts" page does not indicate which have been seen and which are new, kinda needed.

Tom.G said:
The "Alerts" page does not indicate which have been seen and which are new, kinda needed.
Which alerts or threads have been seen?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Which alerts or threads have been seen?

That's what I was trying express... or was that a question you were asking of me?

Tom.G said:
That's what I was trying express... or was that a question you were asking of me?
Do you mean threads because there is no way for us to detect which alerts your eyes have seen :smile: