PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
BvU said:
the latter :rolleyes: but I think I once complained about ALL entries reacting to a passing mouse pointer

In PF4 some members had pitchforks out because of the hover. 😄

BvU said:
When I wake up and I have ten or more of them, a) the clicking and waiting for a response to see them begins to annoy, b) it's very hard to keep track of which ones I looked at and which ones will have to wait until I'm at work :nb) -- or back home

Alerts are just that, an alert, you can always go to your watched threads page to see what you have left to see and act on.
https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads

Physics news on Phys.org
One obvious thing is missing, though I have faith that it'll be back soon: unanswered threads.

Wrichik Basu said:
One obvious thing is missing, though I have faith that it'll be back soon: unanswered threads.
It’s an option in the forums nav drop down. I am planning to make it a sidebar widget in the near future.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Am I the only one who is missing the counter for Threads with no replies

Greg Bernhardt said:
It’s an option in the forums nav drop down. I am planning to make it a sidebar widget in the near future.
The link in your signature has to be edited. I just fell in a black hole.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
One thing @Greg Bernhardt: Are you paying EmojiOne for the smilies?

Here is a travel forum running on XF software. They are saying that their smilies are provided free by EmojiOne (scroll to the bottom of the page). If you too get them for free, you might want to consider adding some more smilies to PF. The linked site has a number of more smilies than PF. Maybe all are not required, but adding some would be a good choice.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
New item: I'm missing the post count, so I don't know if someone is a newcomer or not.
:welcome: ?

BvU said:
post count,
Upper right, in the post header.

Likes BvU
Thanks. I suppose I should learn to look a little better (dutch expression: further than the length of my own nose) o:)

next -- category nice to have -- : a 'close preview' button
a) so I can find the 'post reply' that often goes off-screen downwards
b) so I can fix mistakes and/or continue editing in the edit window, which often goes off-screen upwards when inspecting the preview

Likes Tom.G and Greg Bernhardt
On the log-in page, PLEASE, PLEASE remove the default checkmark in the Keep Logged In box! Presently, it requires those that do Not want to Keep Logged In to take an action every time, vs. a one-time action for those that do. Pretty please with a Cherry on top?

Likes BvU
Faced serious problems while adding media. Embedded 40 videos, and when I clicked on "Save", it asked me to enter 70 characters or lower. But where?

In addition, the number of characters allowed for titles seems to have been reduced.

An option "Set all titles, descriptions and tags..." existed in PF4, can you bring that back?

Interesting: banned members have found a place too:

Screenshot_20190328-180210.png

Wrichik Basu said:
Faced serious problems while adding media. Embedded 40 videos, and when I clicked on "Save", it asked me to enter 70 characters or lower. But where?

That is a limit for the titles.

Wrichik Basu said:
In addition, the number of characters allowed for titles seems to have been reduced.

I'll increase it for videos since they aren't indexed by search engines anyway.

Wrichik Basu said:
An option "Set all titles, descriptions and tags..." existed in PF4, can you bring that back?

hmmmm... not familiar but will look around

Likes Wrichik Basu
Tom.G said:
On the log-in page, PLEASE, PLEASE remove the default checkmark in the Keep Logged In box! Presently, it requires those that do Not want to Keep Logged In to take an action every time, vs. a one-time action for those that do. Pretty please with a Cherry on top?
ok done

Likes Tom.G
Is ther a way to change the font size without messing with these small pics?
i.e. firefox 37.0.2>tools>options>content>font size
see circled items

Thanks @Greg Bernhardt

dlgoff said:
Is ther a way to change the font size without messing with these small pics?
I would use the zoom feature rather than mess with specific font sizes.

Likes dlgoff
Thanks Greg. I'll play with zoom.

Edit: That worked @Greg Bernhardt. Thanks again.

@Greg Bernhardt
When viewing a member's profile page, that member's replies to "Profile Posts" are not visible. Is this by design? I was wondering what information I received from a member while looking back at some old "Profile Posts". Not really that big of a deal for me though.

I just noticed something else.
When editing a post, inserted links get lost. Sorry Greg. :olduhh:

dlgoff said:
I just noticed something else.
When editing a post, inserted links get lost. Sorry Greg. :olduhh:
hmmm I can't reproduce. Anything unique about what you're doing?

What does it mean to make a conversation sticky? Prevent it from deletion?

Wrichik Basu said:
What does it mean to make a conversation sticky? Prevent it from deletion?
Keeps it at the top of the list. I don't know about deletion.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
Problem in alerts: a reply to a watched thread comes up as "...created a ...". See the first alert in the screenshot: ...
This is due to the fact that I moved the thread to Academic Guidance. The subforum recognizes it as new and sets an alert if you checked this forum for alerts. So it is not really an error.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Probably due 'Work in Progress', but clicking on a topic under Partners now goes to PhysOrg front page, rather than a discussion in PF...

(Win'10, Norton's & Chrome browser... )

How does one tell if a thread is locked without reading it?

Vanadium 50 said:
How does one tell if a thread is locked without reading it?
There is a lock icon in thread list to the left of replies/views.

A minor problem: when I click on the drop-down beside media in the header, there is an option to add a. But media categories shown under that option don't include Physics and Maths:

Screenshot_20190401-100306.png

There is no option to scroll.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Tom.G said:
Greg Bernhardt said:
ok done

If I enter user name/password and then check the box, it works. If I check the box and then enter my username/password, it unchecks the box.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Vanadium 50 said:
If I enter user name/password and then check the box, it works. If I check the box and then enter my username/password, it unchecks the box.
I guess this is a consequence of the requested change to "default: unchecked". If you check it first and then type the username, then it is a new user from the standpoint of the system, ergo default has to be applied.

Whatever you do, you can't win. Poor Greg.

Every other solution in AJAX would require an analysis for several possible cases and a detection routine what is entered first, all in dependence of whether the site is called, still in the cache somewhere, etc. To solve it by programming will make things worse in my experience, since every solution will cause two more exceptions for users which previously did ... .

There is no way to fill in the entire form before taking an action? That seems the simplest case to program and the one least likely to surprise people.

Vanadium 50 said:
At the moment I can't reproduce this in IE or Opera. What are you using and at what point does it uncheck?

Wrichik Basu said:
A minor problem: when I click on the drop-down beside media in the header, there is an option to add a. But media categories shown under that option don't include Physics and Maths:

There is no option to scroll.

Can you try now?

Likes Wrichik Basu
FF 66.01; I checked, entered my name and pw and noticed it unchecked.