• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Ph.D on mathematics or physics. . .?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Okay, I really wanted to get a Ph.D on either mathematics or physics. I have current knowledge all the way up to differential equations for mathematics, and just classical mechanics and Principia for physics. I will go for the doctoral degree after six years (after the Navy). If I want to get a Ph.D sooner, then should I choose mathematics or physics for doctoral degree? Also, I've heard that physics takes a bit longer to problem solving than mathematics does, but anyways, any helpful replies will be appreciated.

Answers and Replies

thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Your "current knowledge" is not enough for either subject to pursue a Ph. D. It's not even enough for a bachelor's degree. I hope you are currently studying while you are in the Navy, before even hoping of getting into a Ph. D. program.

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I think he or she is suggesting that it will take six years to complete both the undergraduate degree and any naval service committments.

You can't pick a PhD field based on 'time to completion' because this is highly variable. A PhD is awarded based on the completion of an original research project. Research is not a matter of just putting time in. Some projects go quickly. Others drag out. A funding expiration date provides additional motivation in some cases, but it doesn't guarantee that a student will finish in four years. Whether you chose a mathematics-based or a physics-based project, the time to completion will be a much stronger function of the project specifics (and your personal efforts) than the field it's in.