Mathematical Physics or Standard physics?

In summary, the mathematical physics degree is the same as the standard physics degree, but with more required courses in mathematics.
stratz
Hello, I'm seriously considering switching degrees to Physics, however I'm not sure whether I should be taking mathematical physics or standard physics (my School has both as separate programs). Which one would you say has better prospects later on? I am planning on getting a Ph.D in this eventually.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide a little more context here?

In physics, it never hurts to have too much mathematics unless it makes you into a mathematician. Theoretical physicists arguably have more math background than an experimentalist. However, even experimentalists need a good foundation in math otherwise their results wouldn't be very solid.

Well as far as context goes, I am a first year undergrad student, and right now my goal is to do research in physics (not sure yet about the specific branch of physics yet - as a physics prof has told me that the undergraduate education required for studying any of these branches is pretty much the same). I've been looking around on the internet, and I've heard that prospects in theoretical/mathematical areas in physics are not great, and that experimental physics research is a more practical goal. Is this true?

Just to add, I do like both math, and physics.

I think you're right about job prospects. That's why many physics majors also start doing programming as part of a backup plan which is also useful in the computational aspects of physics.

It's always difficult to offer advice based only on the title of the program.

Presumably, the mathematical physics degree is the same as the standard physics degree, but with more required courses in mathematics. Or do those replace some of the standard physics degree courses? Do you have less flexibility with elective courses? Is that important to you?

One thing that can help you make this kind of decision is to go through your course catalogue in detail and choose the courses that you really want to take during your degree. And then base your decision on which program lines up best with your most desired courses. As you do this, make sure to have some kind of a plan for what happens if graduate school doesn't work out.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Choppy said:
It's always difficult to offer advice based only on the title of the program.

Presumably, the mathematical physics degree is the same as the standard physics degree, but with more required courses in mathematics. Or do those replace some of the standard physics degree courses? Do you have less flexibility with elective courses? Is that important to you?

One thing that can help you make this kind of decision is to go through your course catalogue in detail and choose the courses that you really want to take during your degree. And then base your decision on which program lines up best with your most desired courses. As you do this, make sure to have some kind of a plan for what happens if graduate school doesn't work out.

You're right for the most part about the differences between the two programs. They seem to differ by only 1 or 2 required courses, and the rest of the differences lie in the optional ones. However, it seems that the Mathematical Physics program attempts to catch up abit by replacing some optional courses in later years with required physics courses, while the standard physics program doesn't do this.

Just to add, I've done well in high-school physics and math, so I don't think there would be an issue with the extra math courses, provided that I put in the time and effort to do well. I'm just wondering if there is a huge difference between these two programs in terms of what type of graduate programs I will qualify for, and whether these two programs differ in the types of work I will be doing later on.

jedishrfu said:
In physics, it never hurts to have too much mathematics unless it makes you into a mathematician...

Of course, there is nothing wrong with turning into a mathematician! :biggrin:

StatGuy2000 said:
Of course, there is nothing wrong with turning into a mathematician! :biggrin:

Yes, but then you've entered the Twilight Zone.

Likes StatGuy2000
Hi there,

Not sure where to add a new post so thought i would ask under this topic.

Asked to determine the factor of safety in operation. where the ultimate tensile stress is 490mn/m2 and the ultimate shear stress is 290mn/m2. How do i determine the maximum allowable stress with the information given? I know that the FACTOR OF SAFETY = MAX ALLOWABLE STRESS / ACTUAL STRESS...

i've worked out the actual stress on the component and answered all other questions involved, just battling with this. So in other words using both shear and tensile stresses, how do i determine the max allowable stress?

Is the mathematical physics area in the mathematics department in your university, is the mathematical physics area in the physics department in your university, or third: is the mathematical physics area in its own separate department?

The reason for asking the above question is what would be on your diploma. BS/BA in math; BA/BS in Physics; BA/BS in mrsath physics.
Many jobs have computers in HR departments that screen out math diplomas in favor or physics or vice versa. Maybe the screen out math physics because it is not math or not physics depending on who they want to hire. The hiring committee may not even get to see your application to judge you favorably if it is the the opposite major.

To address the comment by Jedishru, I know many colleagues in physics who use the computer as a tool in their research and they are not experimentalists. They learn programming because it is central in their research, not because it is a fallback in case things don't work out.

I suspect nobody does theoretical physics with pencil/pen and paper anymore.

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical concepts and techniques to study and understand physical phenomena. It combines the principles of mathematics, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, with the laws of physics to create mathematical models that describe and predict the behavior of physical systems.

2. What is the difference between mathematical physics and standard physics?

The main difference between mathematical physics and standard physics is the approach they take in studying physical phenomena. Standard physics focuses on experimental observations and uses mathematical equations to describe and explain them. On the other hand, mathematical physics uses mathematical methods to create models and theories that can be applied to a wider range of physical systems and phenomena.

3. What are some examples of applications of mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics has a wide range of applications in different fields. Some examples include quantum mechanics, general relativity, fluid dynamics, and statistical mechanics. It is also used in engineering, economics, and computer science to model and analyze complex systems.

4. What skills are required to study mathematical physics?

To study mathematical physics, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Knowledge of physics principles and concepts is also essential, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Is mathematical physics a difficult subject to learn?

Like any other subject, the difficulty of learning mathematical physics depends on the individual's aptitude and dedication. It does require a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, so it may be challenging for some. However, with proper study and practice, anyone can grasp the concepts and principles of mathematical physics.