Phase Angle Questions: Can Imaging of Speakers Change?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
tanky322
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Well this isn't a h/w problem, rather its one I have myself.

I have two speakers, speaker one sits in its enclouser horizontal. Speaker 2 sits 58 Degrees out of phase with speaker one. ( See Drawing #1).

If I could somehow change the phase angle, would that change the imaging of the speaker as to where it would sound as if they were set up in Drawing #2?
Also is there a way to do this?
Phaseangle.jpg

Thanks,
Andy
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what is meant by phase angle - normally that would apply to timing between two sources/waves.

But simply draw a straight line between the speakers in Drawing 1 and then determine the intensity at any point in the field. Then rotate the line between speakers in drawing 1 parallel with the line in drawing 2 and this represents the same geometry, with perhaps a different distance between speakers.

The distance between the speakers, the wave length (or frequency) of the sound the distance to the location of reception determine the intensity.