PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis

In summary: If you are interested in doing research in finite element analysis, then I recommend that you start by looking into some of the basics of the finite element method. Then, you can look into some of the more popular programming languages for doing finite element analysis.
Shackleford
My background is BS Math with Physics minor (3.5) and MA Math (3.7) from the University of Houston. My current plan is to explore the necessary background for doing research in finite element analysis. Over the next few semesters, I plan to take Numerical Methods for PDEs, Statistical Computing, Numerical Analysis, Partial Differential Equations, and Functional Analysis at UT RGV. Fortunately, this university offers these courses online.

The University of Reading offers the possibility of doing a PhD at a distance. Assuming that I do well in the above courses and genuinely find interest in the mathematics, then I'll consider approaching Reading about doing a self-funded research PhD. They offer a discounted rate for distance students. I do take advantage of tuition reimbursement offered at my employer.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/maths-and-stats/Postgraduate/maths-phd-prospective.aspxhttp://www.reading.ac.uk/maths-and-stats/research/num-an-comp-mod/numerical-analysis.aspx
However, I am 34 years old, married, and we will probably have our first child next year. I would likely finish the above courses in two to three years, taking one each fall and spring semesters. In my mind, what makes this even remotely possible is the difference between the US and UK programs. In some respects, the US programs are more rigorous and thorough. As far as I know, the program at Reading does not have coursework requirements, comprehensive and qualifying exams, or residency requirements. I assume that they would simply (not simply) expect original research to be completed and presented in the dissertation. If I cannot do that, then I will not be award a degree.

BS Math courses include Calculus I-III, Ordinary Differential Equations, Vector Analysis, Probability, Advanced Linear Algebra I & II, Intermediate Analysis, Discrete Mathematics, Abstract Algebra, Intermediate Mechanics, Thermal Physics, Modern Physics I & II

MA Math courses include Analysis, Differential Equations, Statistics, Regression and Linear Models, Numerical Computing with Python, Complex Analysis, Introduction to Differential Geometry, Number Theory

Other courses include Fourier Analysis, Seismic Wave and Ray Theory

My question is what textbooks do you recommend that would introduce me to the mathematics of finite element analysis, to a practical understanding of its implementation, to understanding the current research, and then to enabling me to ponder novel efforts for research? Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
it depends on your specific research, but a classic FEM book is this one from Ziekiewicz and Taylor:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=9780080472775&i=stripbooks&linkCode=qs&tag=pfamazon01-20
and this one from Strang and Fix:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=0980232708&i=stripbooks-intl-ship&ref=nb_sb_noss&tag=pfamazon01-20
Depending on your interests you can look up specific papers on the topic.

I also recommend programming some finite element methods and playing with different classic differential equations. Hope this helps.

Sorry, I missed this reply. For the theory, the books that I have are:

An Introduction to the Mathematical Theory of Finite Elements (Dover Books on Engineering)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1614273049/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm taking a Numerical Methods for PDEs course this semester. It looks like the second half of the class is devoted to the finite element method. For the programming, we'll have a project at some point. The language I know is Python. The professor recommends Matlab or Maple. Should I even try to do this in Python?

1. What is a PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis?

A PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis is a doctoral degree program that focuses on the application of mathematical principles and techniques to solve problems in engineering and physics. Specifically, it involves the use of finite element analysis methods to model and analyze complex systems and structures.

2. What are the requirements for a PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis?

The specific requirements for a PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis may vary depending on the university or program, but generally, applicants should have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They may also be required to have a master's degree in a related field and demonstrate proficiency in computer programming and numerical methods.

3. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis?

Graduates with a PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis have a wide range of career options in industries such as aerospace, automotive, defense, and manufacturing. They can work as research scientists, engineers, data analysts, or consultants, using their expertise in finite element analysis to solve real-world problems and develop innovative solutions.

4. What skills are necessary for success in a PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis?

In addition to strong mathematical and analytical skills, students pursuing a PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis should also have excellent problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and attention to detail. They should also be proficient in computer programming languages and have a strong understanding of numerical methods and algorithms.

5. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis?

The length of a PhD program in Applied Mathematics - Finite Element Analysis can vary, but it typically takes 4-5 years to complete. This may also depend on factors such as the student's research topic, progress, and the requirements of their specific program. Some universities may also offer accelerated or part-time options for completing the degree.