1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD in Physics at US after MTech in Electrical Engg.

1. May 3, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

I need advice related to my career. I have been working in semiconductor company as an engineer for 2 years now after gradating from IIT Madras(one of the reputed technical institution in India) with a Dual Degree(BTech + MTech in 5 years) in Electrical Engg with VLSI as specialization. My interests shifted towards physics and considering to do a PhD in physics from a university abroad. So I have been trying to get in touch with basics and undergrad physics syllabus, which is basically Griffiths level and a little of classical physics.

What is the level of knowledge expected before entering PhD or integrated MSc-PhD at US universities?

The drawback I see with me are
    1. I don't have any credentials in physics. Also, I don't have exposure to any of courses like classical, quantum, condensed matter or any graduate/undergrad courses which most of the students applying for US universities from India do. I did attend classical and quantum courses but didn't do them well at all.
    2. I am an average student so undergrad grades/GPA is just average.

So, I am considering to get in touch with professors at IISc(another reputed science grad school in India) and see if I can get some exposure in any research area hoping that this would fetch me recommendations which would increase my chances of getting admission at a US university. I am very much skeptical about this though.

Another option I see is if I go and do MSc in Physics which would take next 3 years but I get quipped with all the necessary course work and confidence levels. I am not sure if am I going to be allowed to do this after being an MTech in Engg already.

Time is also a constraint for me.

Please advice.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2014 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook