PhD in Physics at US after MTech in Electrical Engg.

In summary, the individual is seeking advice for their career as they are considering pursuing a PhD in physics from a university abroad. They have a background in engineering but limited knowledge in physics. They are unsure of the level of knowledge expected for a PhD program and are considering reaching out to professors for exposure and recommendations. Another option is to pursue a Master's degree in physics, but time is a constraint.
precise
Hello everyone,

I need advice related to my career. I have been working in semiconductor company as an engineer for 2 years now after gradating from IIT Madras(one of the reputed technical institution in India) with a Dual Degree(BTech + MTech in 5 years) in Electrical Engg with VLSI as specialization. My interests shifted towards physics and considering to do a PhD in physics from a university abroad. So I have been trying to get in touch with basics and undergrad physics syllabus, which is basically Griffiths level and a little of classical physics.

What is the level of knowledge expected before entering PhD or integrated MSc-PhD at US universities?

The drawback I see with me are
1. I don't have any credentials in physics. Also, I don't have exposure to any of courses like classical, quantum, condensed matter or any graduate/undergrad courses which most of the students applying for US universities from India do. I did attend classical and quantum courses but didn't do them well at all.
2. I am an average student so undergrad grades/GPA is just average.

So, I am considering to get in touch with professors at IISc(another reputed science grad school in India) and see if I can get some exposure in any research area hoping that this would fetch me recommendations which would increase my chances of getting admission at a US university. I am very much skeptical about this though.

Another option I see is if I go and do MSc in Physics which would take next 3 years but I get quipped with all the necessary course work and confidence levels. I am not sure if am I going to be allowed to do this after being an MTech in Engg already.

Time is also a constraint for me.

Please advice.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the difference between a PhD in Physics and an MTech in Electrical Engineering?

A PhD in Physics is a research-based degree that focuses on advancing knowledge and understanding in the field of physics. On the other hand, an MTech in Electrical Engineering is a professional degree that focuses on practical applications of electrical engineering principles. While both degrees involve a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, a PhD in Physics requires more independent research and a deeper understanding of theoretical concepts.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics after completing an MTech in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics after completing an MTech in Electrical Engineering. However, it is important to note that admission to a PhD program in Physics typically requires a strong background in physics and mathematics, as well as relevant research experience. It is also important to carefully consider your research interests and ensure they align with the focus of the PhD program.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in Physics after an MTech in Electrical Engineering?

Pursuing a PhD in Physics after an MTech in Electrical Engineering can open up opportunities for advanced research and teaching positions in academia and industry. It also allows for a deeper understanding and specialization in a specific area of physics, which can lead to a more fulfilling and challenging career path.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Physics after an MTech in Electrical Engineering?

The duration of a PhD in Physics after an MTech in Electrical Engineering can vary depending on the specific program and individual circumstances. On average, it can take 4-6 years to complete a PhD in Physics after an MTech in Electrical Engineering. This time frame includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing.

5. Can I apply for financial aid or scholarships for a PhD in Physics after an MTech in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, many universities and research institutions offer financial aid and scholarships for students pursuing a PhD in Physics after an MTech in Electrical Engineering. These opportunities may be merit-based or need-based and can help cover tuition fees and living expenses. It is important to research and apply for financial aid opportunities early on in the application process.