MSc. in Physics after MTech in Engineering

In summary, the individual has a MTech in Electrical Engineering from IIT Madras and is looking to pursue a MSc in Physics. They are unsure if they are eligible for the program with their engineering background. It ultimately depends on the university's requirements and some may require an interview in addition to a written test. The individual can check the prerequisites for the specific program online for most Indian colleges.
precise
Hello everyone,

I have an MTech in Electrical Engg from IIT Madras(India). As I have been considering to change my field I want to do MSc. in Physics. My question is, am I allowed to do it in the first place after being and Mtech. in Engineering already?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That would depend on the university. Can you contact them?

As long as you have a B.Tech from physics related field, you are eligible for MSc Physics entrance. Some colleges take an interview too after a written test. Having an M.Tech would be more than enough.
If you still have a doubt almost all the Indian colleges(IISc, IIT, etc) post the prerequisites for their courses online. You"ll have to search a bit.

1. What is the difference between an MSc. in Physics and an MTech in Engineering?

An MSc. in Physics is a postgraduate degree that focuses on the study of the fundamental principles and laws of nature, while an MTech in Engineering is a professional degree that focuses on the practical application of scientific knowledge to solve real-world problems in engineering. The MSc. in Physics degree is more theoretical and research-oriented, while the MTech in Engineering degree is more practical and industry-oriented.

2. Can I pursue an MSc. in Physics after completing my MTech in Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an MSc. in Physics after completing an MTech in Engineering. However, it is important to note that the MSc. in Physics program may have specific prerequisites or requirements, such as a certain GPA or coursework in physics-related subjects. It is best to check with the specific university or program for their specific requirements.

3. What career opportunities are available after completing an MSc. in Physics after MTech in Engineering?

Graduates with an MSc. in Physics after MTech in Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in both the scientific and engineering fields. They can work in research and development in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, and telecommunications. They can also pursue careers in academia, teaching, or continue their studies with a PhD in Physics.

4. How long does it take to complete an MSc. in Physics after MTech in Engineering?

The duration of an MSc. in Physics program after MTech in Engineering varies depending on the university and program. It can take anywhere from 1-2 years to complete, depending on the student's academic background and the program's requirements.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from an MSc. in Physics after MTech in Engineering?

An MSc. in Physics after MTech in Engineering equips students with a strong foundation in theoretical and experimental physics, advanced mathematical and computational skills, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. Students also develop strong research and analytical skills, which are highly valued in both scientific and engineering fields.