1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Phd one class at a time? Going back for another Bachelors?

1. Aug 28, 2016 #1
    So I know some school out their will gladly take my money from me, but my question is can you pursue a phd in engineering while working full time, by just taking one class at a time? That is what I'm currently doing for my masters degree, and wondering if it's even possible for a phd.

I know that I defiantly want to continue education after I finish my masters but am unsure if it's possible to get a phd taking one class a time.

If it's not than pursuing possibly another bachelor's is an option. The company I work for pays a certain percentage but only for one degree at one level. So the company I work would support another bachelor's lol.

Could I pursue another bachelor's like I thought in my undergraduate you cannot apply any credits to your undergraduate degree that are over 8 years old. So if I were to go back for another Bachelor's with credits over 8 years old than what happens? Would I have to take all the really easy math classes over again like Calculus 1 or have to waste my time taking general education credits again?

Just wondering if you pursue another bachelor's and your credits from your first undergraduate degree is over 8 years old, do you really have to go for another 120 credits and take over really basic fundamental classes all over again?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A. Classes are only a part of a PhD. The thesis is also important - some would say the larger part.
    B. One class at a time takes a long time. 8 years is not an unrealistic time to finish. Many places have a limit on how long you can be a PhD candidate - around 10 years or so.

4. Aug 28, 2016 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To add to what Vanadium said, it's *possible* to work full time and complete a PhD, but in my experience it's very rare (among PhD candidates) for someone to complete the PhD with another full time commitment. And usually with PhDs, they're not taking the money from you. In fact, in most cases they're paying you to attend in one way or another.

As far as the rules with respect to what you will and will not get credit for in a second bachelor's - they're going to be school-specific. So if you're looking into a program that allows a second bachelor's degree, read the program outline and course calendar carefully so that you know what you're signing up for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted