Philosophy in The Elegant Universe

In summary, the author has convinced her English teacher to let her use The Elegant Universe as an independant reading novel in her Literature and Philosophy class. She would appreciate further examples of philosophy in the book.
Jeremy
I have convinced my english teacher to let me use The Elegant Universe as an independant reading novel for my Literature and Philosophy class. (As a sidenote, this is really exciting to me because now my entire day (except for band) is science/math: AP Chem, teacher's assistant during AP Chem second hour, Lit and Philosophy, AP Calculus, AP Physics)

Now all i need is some examples of philosophy in the book :wink:

I've got at least one:

aesthetic: einstein more or less knew his theory of general relativity was correct because of its beauty

any other contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Space news on Phys.org
BTW, although there are some who might agree with the description of The Elegant Universe as a novel, it isn't really intended to be one. :biggrin: A novel is a piece of book-length fiction. Elegant Universe is nonfiction - science popularization.

I considered Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos to be more philosophical than The Elegant Universe. Is there any reason why you couldn't use that book instead?

String theorists' contention that there are indivisible strings is comparable to the atomism of Democritus and Leucippus. Shouldn't this be in the homework section?

one of the reasons i was kind of excited about getting to use the book for an independent novel is because it isn't really a novel...exactly as you put it, selfAdjoint. i wonder how the book can be a national bestseller though when a very small percentage of the world cares about science, an even smaller percent buys science books, and very few have the patience and time to read such a difficult book (compared to harry potter etc, not necessarily other science "novels").

Chronon, i went to Barnes and Nobel today to buy the fabric... and they didn't have a hardcover (i want it to match my other Greene book). they ordered it for me and i will have it on wednesday. the only problem will be finishing it in time. i am 85% sure i will have another independent reading project next quarter, so i could do BOTH (assuming my teacher likes what i do with my first project).

skomatth, i see your point about hw, but from what i recall, the homework forum is more like "how do i solve this calculus problem." i'd much rather go straight to the source, but i wouldn't be too mad if an admin moved the thread. i will check out Democritus and Leucippus once we really get started in class.

i would appreciate further examples...

thank you all.

Jeremy said:
(As a sidenote, this is really exciting to me because now my entire day (except for band) is science/math: AP Chem, teacher's assistant during AP Chem second hour, Lit and Philosophy, AP Calculus, AP Physics)

Nothing like expanding your mind and getting a broad education, eh?

Note: I realize that, to get anywhere in the scientific world, one must be narrow and focused, so I say this somewhat facetiously.

loseyourname said:
Nothing like expanding your mind and getting a broad education, eh?

Note: I realize that, to get anywhere in the scientific world, one must be narrow and focused, so I say this somewhat facetiously.

I have actually taken social studies/history all four years. this year, however, i took government for four hours a day over the summer so i could make room for AP chem II. little did i know, french 4 was the same hour as AP physics II, and we see which won that battle. Next semester Lit and Philosophy is replaced by Shakespeare. Even though i tout the science i get to do in Philosophy this semester, I still have to write 4 papers a quarter and have to read confusing Plato.

so that's my story.

more examples please.

1. What is the main focus of "Philosophy in The Elegant Universe"?

The main focus of "Philosophy in The Elegant Universe" is to explore the philosophical implications of string theory, a theoretical framework in particle physics that attempts to reconcile the laws of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. How does "Philosophy in The Elegant Universe" relate to physics?

"Philosophy in The Elegant Universe" delves into the deeper philosophical and conceptual aspects of string theory, addressing questions such as the nature of reality and the role of mathematics in understanding the universe. It also discusses the potential impact of string theory on our understanding of the laws of physics.

3. Who is the author of "Philosophy in The Elegant Universe"?

The author of "Philosophy in The Elegant Universe" is renowned physicist and string theorist Brian Greene.

4. Is "Philosophy in The Elegant Universe" suitable for non-scientists?

While the book does discuss complex scientific concepts, it is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. Greene uses analogies and examples to help readers understand the ideas presented in the book.

5. Does "Philosophy in The Elegant Universe" offer any concrete conclusions?

The book does not offer any concrete conclusions, as string theory is still a highly debated and speculative area of physics. However, it encourages readers to think critically about the universe and our place in it, and to consider the potential implications of string theory on our understanding of reality.