Are Advanced Physics Courses in High School Beneficial for Getting into MIT?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school student's desire to challenge themselves with science and their plan to take AP Physics C, followed by 4 semesters of physics at a local university in preparation for a double major in physics and math at MIT. The student also discusses their struggles with being bored and seeking challenges, and the potential impact on their future. The expert advises considering input from teachers and balancing academic challenges with other activities and responsibilities.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi,

I know I have asked a similar question before but I now have more information.

I have been communicating with the AP physics teacher at my high school. I have really been looking to challenge myself with science (which I can't do this year; I have a 100% in honors chemistry, a mostly 10th grade class, and a 105% in mandatory freshman biology). I also really hate being bored (it actually causes me more stress than being busy). The AP teacher has enrolled me in the honors physics web assignment class, and doing the assignments, I have found that I know most of the material. The likely plan is that next year I will be taking AP physics C (the AP teacher, my parents and I have agreed that it is the goal). Then, I will have the opportunity to take 4 semesters of physics at the local university. I would really like to end up at MIT (although the university of Michigan is a more likely and affordable option. To clarify, this is for a degree, not the previously mentioned 4 semesters. I would likely take those at Oakland University) and get a double major in physics and math. Those 4 semesters would clearly be beneficial to my physics knowledge. Would they be beneficial to getting into MIT or my experience a MIT should I go there? If this is important information, I will concurrently be taking 4 semesters of college math after I take BC calc next year (that is just the natural progression of things; I am in honors precalc right now). I would just like to hear the expert's opinions on this.

Thanks!

Likes Logical Dog
Physics news on Phys.org
No doubt it would...Learn everything you can and keep challenging yourself :-)

Likes Isaac0427
Here's a few things to consider:
  1. Your teachers are in a good position to assess your strengths and offer guidance. If they think this plan a good idea, that opinion should carry a lot of weight. Similarly, if they express reservations, listen to that too.
  2. Being bored shouldn't stress you out. This just means that you need to find an avenue to channel your energy. If challenges aren't coming through school work, you can always find challenges elsewhere. Take up a hobby. Learn to program and design an a new world-changing "app."
  3. Remember there is no reward for finishing school early. It's great if you can take some university courses while still in high school, but remember this will be a lot of work - not just a matter of learning new and more challenging material. And it will come at a significant time cost. So it's important to think about other life-factors and how taking on advanced coursework will cut into those. Do you have a part-time job, for example? What about a girlfriend/boyfriend? Do you play any sports? What kinds of community service do you do?

Likes Isaac0427
Choppy said:
Your teachers are in a good position to assess your strengths and offer guidance. If they think this plan a good idea, that opinion should carry a lot of weight. Similarly, if they express reservations, listen to that too.
The AP teacher and my chem teacher have both said that it would probably be a good idea for me. My bio teacher said that she recommends going light on AP courses.
Choppy said:
Being bored shouldn't stress you out. This just means that you need to find an avenue to channel your energy. If challenges aren't coming through school work, you can always find challenges elsewhere. Take up a hobby. Learn to program and design an a new world-changing "app."
For some reason it does. When I feel like I'm not being challenged in school, I try to learn more about the topic. Honestly, my hobbies are math and physics. Trying to learn it on my own, however, makes me more stressed. I've also picked up the task of making math/physics tutorial videos for self studiers, which should keep me busy for a while.
Choppy said:
Remember there is no reward for finishing school early. It's great if you can take some university courses while still in high school, but remember this will be a lot of work - not just a matter of learning new and more challenging material. And it will come at a significant time cost.
This is really not to finish high school or college early. It is really opening up the opportunity for me to learn as much as I can in high school and college. I know it will be a lot of work, and I am prepared for it.
Choppy said:
What about a girlfriend/boyfriend?
Working on that :wink:
Choppy said:
Do you play any sports? What kinds of community service do you do?
Well, all the sports that I like and are good at (i.e. only football) are "too dangerous" for me to play, according to my mom. I did play last year, though. I'm also going to take up tutoring (some for community service, some for money).

Thank you very much for that response. Others have definitely brought those things up with me. I think that I am prepared to take on those challenges, though. My only issue is how much taking on those challenges and taking those college classes will help me in the future.

A lot of students at MIT have had a lot of advanced coursework in high school, so it would help you academically if you were to go there. Of course first you have to be accepted, which is a crapshoot and many more than worthy applicants are denied (who may end up there for grad school). I would just try to do what you enjoy at the moment while you have the time. Of course, you should try to compare for college applications too, but the former would be my first concern. Although to get into a good college you would need to do other things as well to stand out.

What is AP Physics C?

AP Physics C is an advanced placement course offered in high school that covers both mechanics and electricity and magnetism at a college-level. It is typically taken by 10th grade students who have a strong foundation in math and physics.

What are the benefits of taking AP Physics C in 10th grade?

Taking AP Physics C in 10th grade allows students to challenge themselves and potentially earn college credit if they pass the AP exam. It also prepares them for more advanced science courses in high school and college.

What topics are covered in AP Physics C?

AP Physics C covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, rotational motion, electromagnetism, circuits, and more. It is a comprehensive course that requires a strong understanding of calculus.

Is it necessary to have prior knowledge in physics to take AP Physics C in 10th grade?

While it is not required to have taken a physics course before, it is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. A basic understanding of physics concepts will also be helpful.

What are some tips for success in AP Physics C in 10th grade?

Some tips for success in AP Physics C include staying organized, practicing regularly with problems and equations, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and staying curious and engaged in the material. It is also important to have a strong work ethic and dedication to understanding the concepts.