1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photo-electric effect, Compton Scattering

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the maximum kinetic energy of electrons knocked out of a thin copper foil by Compston scattering of an incident beam of 17.5 KeV rays? Assume the work function is negligible.

2. Relevant equations
    Δλ = h/mc (1-cosθ)

3. The attempt at a solution

I reasoned that the greatest energy transfer to an electron will occur when the x-ray rebounds at 180 degrees, in which case the change in wavelength is 4.85 x 10^-12 m.

I figured that the wavelength of the x-rays increases by this amount, thereby decreasing in energy. I thought I could therefore take this change in wavelength and calculate the energy associated with it using E = hc/Δλ, and I got E = 256 KeV.

However, the answer key requires that you calculate the wavelength of the original x-ray, add Δλ, then calculate the energy and deduct the original energy. It yields a different answer, 1.1 KeV.

I don't understand why you can't say that the energy loss associated with the increase in the wavelength of the x-ray is completely transferred to the electron and then be done with it. What am I missing? Thanks!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2
    Does anybody have any insight into what I'm doing wrong here? I'd appreciate any and all help :).

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So far, so good.
    Not quite. First, note that it's impossible for a 17.5 keV photon to lose 256 keV of energy.

You have two energies, E1 = hc/λ1 and E2 = hc/λ2.

The energy difference E1-E2 is the difference between the hc/λ terms, not hc/Δλ. What you did is equivalent to saying
    (1/5) - (1/3) = 1/(5-3) = 1/2,​
    which is not true.

Can you take it from here?

Yes, that is the basic idea.

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4
    Thanks, that makes sense!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook