Photo of Jupiter's moons with cellphone

• Thread starter Gliese123
  • Start date
Amazing stuff. I think these small noisy photos are more relatable than anything NASA takes, in the sense that we can see them for what they are down here. It's hard to fathom how close spacecraft have to be from here to take the photos they do.
Well, we "common" people are more able to achieve results than people think. I wonder if not probably more than 60% + of the people at the streets thinks that, that bright spot is probably a star which it certainly is not.

Well, we "common" people are more able to achieve results than people think. I wonder if not probably more than 60% + of the people at the streets thinks that, that bright spot is probably a star which it certainly is not.
Oh definitely and it's encouraging for anyone who wants to get into astrophotography. Or even looking for planets generally. Obviously it's expensive but the fact that it is possibilities opens doors. I've recently moved out to a rural area and I can't wait to get my dads binoculars out (when it stops raining).

Oh definitely and it's encouraging for anyone who wants to get into astrophotography. Or even looking for planets generally. Obviously it's expensive but the fact that it is possibilities opens doors. I've recently moved out to a rural area and I can't wait to get my dads binoculars out (when it stops raining).
How nice :D Do you live in the northern or southern hemisphere? The moon's absolutely gorgeous to look at with a simple binocular. By the way, Jupiter sure is the planet who desire attention as it shines bright (oh and Venus too but it's not that astonishing to look at with binoculars). And Saturn does not show up where I live unfortunately. :(

How nice :D Do you live in the northern or southern hemisphere? The moon's absolutely gorgeous to look at with a simple binocular. By the way, Jupiter sure is the planet who desire attention as it shines bright (oh and Venus too but it's not that astonishing to look at with binoculars). And Saturn does not show up where I live unfortunately. :(
I'm in the UK. Last night we had a SPECTACULAR orange Moon. I tried taking a photo with my phone and it ended up looking like a sodium streetlight haha. Then again I've got a decent digital camera so next time! I don't know the location of the planets yet so that'll be something to learn :) My head is in the stars and I wish to become a mechanical engineer and work with spacecraft.

Where do you live?

I'm in the UK. Last night we had a SPECTACULAR orange Moon. I tried taking a photo with my phone and it ended up looking like a sodium streetlight haha. Then again I've got a decent digital camera so next time! I don't know the location of the planets yet so that'll be something to learn :) My head is in the stars and I wish to become a mechanical engineer and work with spacecraft.

Where do you live?
That's at least something. LOL. Well. I've tried that too but without success. Cellphone's not that good when one mix darkness and a single light source. I could barely see the difference between a lamppost and the moon. xD Oh in the UK? I live in Sweden! :) So that's more or less the same view for us both then :) Have you tried Stellarium? I would have been lost if not that program was available. There's also Google skymap :)
Working with spacecraft? Now that's something I would like to do as well :) I wonder if there'a ny jobs here for that xD

That's at least something. LOL. Well. I've tried that too but without success. Cellphone's not that good when one mix darkness and a single light source. I could barely see the difference between a lamppost and the moon. xD Oh in the UK? I live in Sweden! :) So that's more or less the same view for us both then :) Have you tried Stellarium? I would have been lost if not that program was available. There's also Google skymap :)
Working with spacecraft? Now that's something I would like to do as well :) I wonder if there'a ny jobs here for that xD
Well UCL do a Masters in Engineering specifically with spacecraft. I'm not even in uni yet so I'm indulging in fantasy a little. I've downloaded Stellarium today actually but not had a chance to use it. If I worked as an engineer I'd take a path that allowed me to apply for such opportunities. Probably contracts with spaceX or virgin galactic. What do you do for a living, anything science related?

Well UCL do a Masters in Engineering specifically with spacecraft. I'm not even in uni yet so I'm indulging in fantasy a little. I've downloaded Stellarium today actually but not had a chance to use it. If I worked as an engineer I'd take a path that allowed me to apply for such opportunities. Probably contracts with spaceX or virgin galactic. What do you do for a living, anything science related?
Well, same here. Still struggle with high school subjects. Or as it's called here: Gymnasium. Basically the same but we choose what we like a bit earlier, but basically the same. Oh well, I've been into the astronomy path for some time now but since that field isn't that vast expanded here as it is in the UK, the US, France or any other bigger nation - then the chances are smaller to get a job. And I don't know if I would to consider moving abroad for such thing. Don't know really. But it's good that we have dreams after all :)

Well, same here. Still struggle with high school subjects. Or as it's called here: Gymnasium. Basically the same but we choose what we like a bit earlier, but basically the same. Oh well, I've been into the astronomy path for some time now but since that field isn't that vast expanded here as it is in the UK, the US, France or any other bigger nation - then the chances are smaller to get a job. And I don't know if I would to consider moving abroad for such thing. Don't know really. But it's good that we have dreams after all :)
Ahh right. Well, I'm a mature student so I'm taking pre-uni qualifications (I left school without any). Sorry I'm derailing the thread a little. Nice choice of name btw!

Ahh right. Well, I'm a mature student so I'm taking pre-uni qualifications (I left school without any). Sorry I'm derailing the thread a little. Nice choice of name btw!
Thank you ^^/ No problem that we go of topic :) Well I wish you luck in the future :)

Thank you ^^/ No problem that we go of topic :) Well I wish you luck in the future :)
You too!

DHF
We are all familiar with images from professional telescopes but there is something magical about doing it yourself, to look through a simple telescope or binoculars and take a picture of another world yourself.

Thank you both for sharing your images, it was a thrill to see.

Don

We are all familiar with images from professional telescopes but there is something magical about doing it yourself, to look through a simple telescope or binoculars and take a picture of another world yourself.

Thank you both for sharing your images, it was a thrill to see.

Don
My pleasure :)

Excellent work. Did you take multiple pictures and stack? One can only imagine what the technology of the next decade will bring us!

That photo is actually plain with no edit. :)

I am looking forward for the James Web Telec. indeed :)