Photo of the new amp in the case

  • Thread starter Thread starter Planobilly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amp Photo
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Planobilly
Gold Member
Messages
451
Reaction score
118
Hi Guys,

This was my first attempt at trying to make a case and covering it. I made a few mistakes and learned a good bit about the process. I think I learned enough to do a good job on the next one. Education is never cheap...lol

The amp is basically a AB763 with a few mods. The current speakers are two Celestion vintage G12M from the 1980s. I ordered Weber D12 and also Weber NeoMag to experiment with. The NeoMag is Weber's take on a JBL D120F. They should be here is a week or two.

The reverb is still producing more noise when it is turned up than I am happy with. Other than that the amp only starts to produce a very small amount of hum/hiss when the volume is turned up past 90%. I am not sure just how to reduce the reverb noise.

yQXA84l.jpg


I had no idea when I started these amp building projects how many hard to acquire skills sets were involved. I think lack of precise planning has caused the greatest number of issues. We live in a world of specialization. Perhaps my attempts to "do it all" myself is a very steep mountain to climb.

Cheers,

Billy
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff, berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like your case came out nice and I;m sure you'll figure out the electronics issue too.

Its not so much learning new skills as we often know what to do but gloss over the details. Once when I was a preteen, I built a toy amphibious vehicle out of plywood. It was small around 6" or so, but it never occurred to me that when cutting the wood for the front and base that I needed to factor in the thickness of the wood and bevel intersecting edges. Consequently I had a boat with a hole as long as the seam between the two pieces that I had to use some putty to cover it up and no more plywood to cut new pieces from.

Nowadays duct tape would have solved the problem and looked cool too.
 
LOL...being a "redneck" from Texas I fully appreciate the use of duct tape. I my case, even duct tape won't fix stupid...lol
 
Looks very nice. Well done.

I am about to start on a 5E3 Deluxe clone. It is my first kit and I bought a pre-loaded turret board to reduce the opportunity for cock-ups. It is going in a Laney AOR30 shell so I already have the transformers and 6V6 output valves. Sounds easy...
 
Bandit127 said:
Looks very nice. Well done.

I am about to start on a 5E3 Deluxe clone. It is my first kit and I bought a pre-loaded turret board to reduce the opportunity for cock-ups. It is going in a Laney AOR30 shell so I already have the transformers and 6V6 output valves. Sounds easy...

The 5E3 is fun to build. It is a bit tight inside the chassis. Try to find a 3 watt 5000 ohm dropping resistor. The ones that come in kits are sometimes only 2 watts. The original Fender schematics showed a 5 watt.

Cheers,

Billy