Photoexcitation stages of an atom?

• Thread starter HMS-776
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of photoexcitation in atoms and the various wavelengths required to reach different energy levels. It is stated that excitation must be done in stages and that a single photon can only lead to specific energy levels. The conversation also mentions that certain wavelengths may not be needed for excitation.
HMS-776
Just wondering about photoexcitation of an atom.

Say I have an atom that has excitation wavelengths of 500nm, 450nm, and 300nm.

If I want to get to the level that is equal to 300nm, do I have to first hit the atom with the 500nm, and 450nm. Or can I just hit the atom with 300nm?

Does excitation have to be done in stages or can one just use a single photon to excite the atom to a specific level?

Physics news on Phys.org
HMS-776 said:
Just wondering about photoexcitation of an atom. Say I have an atom that has excitation wavelengths of 500nm, 450nm, and 300nm. If I want to get to the level that is equal to 300nm, do I have to first hit the atom with the 500nm, and 450nm. Or can I just hit the atom with 300nm? Does excitation have to be done in stages or can one just use a single photon to excite the atom to a specific level?
Hello HMS again-
You cannot get to the 2S or 3D etc. from the 1S. You can get to the 2P or 3P etc. from the 1S. You can get to the final state with one photon if delta L = 1.
Review the physics of electronic transitions in atoms..
Bob S

I guess I need to be more specific, I'm wondering about the following:

OxygenElectronicstatesdiagram-1.gif

Say I have all the wavelengths below from 1269-381 nm. What wavelengths would I need to excite the liquid oxygen to it's highest possible energy?

What wavelengths would not be needed?

1. What is photoexcitation of an atom?

Photoexcitation is the process by which an atom absorbs a photon of electromagnetic radiation, causing an electron to move to a higher energy level. This results in an excited state of the atom.

2. How does photoexcitation occur?

Photoexcitation occurs when a photon of light with the right amount of energy interacts with an atom. The energy of the photon must match the difference in energy between the atom's ground state and an excited state.

3. What happens to an atom after photoexcitation?

After photoexcitation, the atom's electron is in a higher energy level than its ground state. The electron will eventually return to its ground state by emitting a photon of light or transferring its energy to another particle.

4. What factors affect the photoexcitation of an atom?

The energy and frequency of the incident light, as well as the energy levels of the atom, can affect the photoexcitation process. Additionally, the composition and surrounding environment of the atom can also play a role.

5. Why is photoexcitation important in scientific research?

Photoexcitation plays a crucial role in fields such as spectroscopy, laser technology, and solar energy. It allows scientists to study the energy levels and properties of atoms, as well as manipulate them for various applications.