Photon and charged particle interactions with matter

In summary, the speaker will be teaching an introductory course on medical physics for bachelor students, specifically focusing on the topic of "Photon and charged particle interactions with matter" in relation to radiation therapy. They are seeking a textbook with relevant problems for the students to work on, but note that the students will only spend about 8 hours on this topic. The speaker's own resources are more advanced than what is needed for an introductory course.
Denver Dang
I am about to teach some of an introductory course for bachelor students in the field of medical physics. More specifically the topic "Photon and charged particle interactions with matter" in respect to radiation therapy (again, medical physics). I know there are a lot of topics within radiation therapy, but this is the topic I was given by my supervisor to teach. My problem is that I also need to find problems within this topic, and the books I have myself (beyond a bachelor level introductory course) are probably a bit to much for bachelor students.
So I was hoping some of you might be able to point me in the direction of a good textbook that also contains problems with regards to this topic ? It should be noted that the students might spend about 8 hours in total on this topic - which I know isn't a lot. But again, it's an introductory course.

Thanks in advance.Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give more details about the material that is going to be presented on the subject?

DrClaude said:
Could you give more details about the material that is going to be presented on the subject?
That is kind of the deal. My supervisor has told me that I (and other PhD students) would have to find textbooks etc. on our different topics. And then they would go through the material as well. So basically my topic would be about how radiation is deposited into matter (i.e. the body of a human being in the case of cancer treatment). This would probably include some dose-volume-histograms, Bragg peaks for charged particles (maybe even the Bethe equation), direct and indirect ionization, and so forth.

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries energy and has no mass. It is the smallest unit of light and is responsible for all electromagnetic interactions.

What is a charged particle?

A charged particle is a particle that carries an electrical charge, either positive or negative. Examples include protons, electrons, and ions.

How do photons interact with matter?

Photons interact with matter through a process called absorption. When a photon collides with an atom, it can transfer its energy to the atom, causing it to become excited or ionized.

How do charged particles interact with matter?

Charged particles interact with matter through Coulomb interactions. These interactions can result in the scattering, ionization, or excitation of atoms in the material.

What factors influence the interaction between photons/charged particles and matter?

The interaction between photons/charged particles and matter is influenced by factors such as the energy of the particle, the charge and mass of the particle, the density and composition of the material, and the distance between the particle and the material.