Photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π, question *interpretation*

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the photon energy threshold for the reaction γ + p → p + π. The individual asking for help is unsure of what is meant by the "photon energy threshold" and asks for clarification. They also mention their difficulty in understanding the professor's lectures. Another student in the same class joins the conversation and agrees that they are both struggling with this problem.
magiix

Homework Statement

Calculate the photon energy threshold for the reaction γ + p → p + π. Assume that the initial state proton is stationary.
<thats really it>

Homework Equations

< unknown, but suspects include: standard special relativity equations >
-- other useful relations:
proton rest mass, mp≈938MeV/c2
neutral pion rest mass, mπ0≈135MeV/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

< haven't yet, see below >

Alright so I don't need help solving the problem yet, rather I need help understanding the problem. I admit, I may have missed class the day this was introduced, but I may not have... I'm still learning how to follow this professor. (wonderful person, bit of an accent, clears overheads before I can finish writing down notes, also often uses less-oftenly-used, granted commonly accepted, language ex: center of mass frame vs center of momentum frame. ).

I am not clear on what is meant by the "photon energy threshold". Is this the minimum energy of the photon needed to produce the reaction? or might it have something to do with the reaction carrier photon (think Feynman diagrams). Instead, is it somehow related to QM scattering... I really don't think this is so, I certainly can't see how, but that about covers what we have started so far this quarter.

I realize not many, if any, of you are in my class-- and therefore probably have minimal ideas of what my instructor my want from us. I might ask a fellow student but there are few I really know, and none whom I know how to contact. The index of my textbook makes no reference to "photon energy threshold" or variations there-of. Any, and all, suggestions you have on how to interpret this question will be full-heartedly appreciated and explored. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
magiix said:
Is this the minimum energy of the photon needed to produce the reaction?

Almost certainly. Ignore the word photon and just look up "threshold energy". From the information you're given it also seems like the most likely thing to calculate.

I can't really make much sense of the other ways you try to interpret the question.

hey I am in your class. but I am in the same spot as you on this problem. which is why i found your post.

Last edited:
hahaha~! I haven't seen you in class for a few days! I thought you might have dropped out, but when I saw your screen name I knew who you were! I'll send you an email next time !

What is the significance of the photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π?

The photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π is the minimum energy that a photon must have in order for the reaction to occur. This threshold energy is determined by the mass of the proton and pion, and it is an important factor in understanding the dynamics of this reaction.

How is the photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π calculated?

The photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π can be calculated using the equation Eγ = mp + mπ, where Eγ is the photon energy, mp is the mass of the proton, and mπ is the mass of the pion. This calculation takes into account the conservation of energy and momentum in the reaction.

What factors can affect the photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π?

The photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π can be affected by the masses of the proton and pion, as well as the angle at which the photon strikes the proton. Additionally, the reaction may have a different threshold energy depending on whether the pion is produced in its ground state or an excited state.

How does the photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π relate to the properties of the proton and pion?

The photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π is directly related to the masses of the proton and pion. This threshold energy can provide insight into the internal structure of these particles and their interactions with each other.

Why is studying the photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π important?

Studying the photon energy threshold for γ+p→p+π allows for a better understanding of the dynamics of this reaction and the properties of the proton and pion. This information can also be used to test and refine theoretical models and predictions, leading to a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces in nature.