1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon Helicity

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    I'm perplexed about something that Wikipedia says about photon helicity:

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon)

But for a photon, doesn't the spin vector always point in the same direction as the momentum vector - and therefore, shouldn't the magnitude of a photon's helicity equal it's spin magnitude, i.e. [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] [tex]\hbar[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The spin vector is always at an angle to the propagation vector, such that its component in the direction of propagation is [itex]\pm \hbar[/itex] and its magnitude is [itex]\sqrt{s(s+1)}\hbar = \sqrt{2}\hbar[/itex].

In theory, one might expect that the photon could also have a spin projection of zero. However, apparently this would require that the photon have non-zero rest mass (which it doesn't), so a zero helicity state is not observed.

If somebody can explain why a zero spin projection is ruled out by relativity in more detail, I would be grateful.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  4. Jul 30, 2008 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Usaf Moji: WHY must the spin of the photon be aligned in the same direction as its momentum-vector?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?