Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon Helicity

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    I'm perplexed about something that Wikipedia says about photon helicity:

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon)

But for a photon, doesn't the spin vector always point in the same direction as the momentum vector - and therefore, shouldn't the magnitude of a photon's helicity equal it's spin magnitude, i.e. [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] [tex]\hbar[/tex]?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The spin vector is always at an angle to the propagation vector, such that its component in the direction of propagation is [itex]\pm \hbar[/itex] and its magnitude is [itex]\sqrt{s(s+1)}\hbar = \sqrt{2}\hbar[/itex].

In theory, one might expect that the photon could also have a spin projection of zero. However, apparently this would require that the photon have non-zero rest mass (which it doesn't), so a zero helicity state is not observed.

If somebody can explain why a zero spin projection is ruled out by relativity in more detail, I would be grateful.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  4. Jul 30, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Usaf Moji: WHY must the spin of the photon be aligned in the same direction as its momentum-vector?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?